Making a Performer 5lb Propane Tank Cover, Using a Weber 20lb Cover (now available).

Tim Snyder

TVWBB Super Fan
I thought it might be fun to make a "Weber" tank cover for my Performer 5 pound propane tank. If Weber offered a 5lb cover I've never seen one. Now, I know I just restored my tank and made a replacement label and all, but my ideas don't always come in a logical order. That's no reason not to act on them. It's been too hot here to work in my shop anyway, plus the Tour de France is on TV, so I can watch that while doing this project.

Adventures in Restoring a 2004 Stainless Steel Performer . . .

tank cover4.JPG

I'll start with the Weber 20lb propane cover (about $10.00) and reduce its size to fit the 5lb tank. This way it will look like a genuine Weber product using the correct labels, fabric, and other details. For $10.00 you probably couldn't buy the materials at retail to make the cover anyway. I tried to find a "Weber" logo patch to sew on a custom cover, but had no luck.

First I measured the 5lb tank and made a rough sketch of the panels I'd need to cut. Seam allowances, folds, and fabric overlap get confusing, so I find a sketch always helps. The 20lb tank cover uses elastic all around the bottom, which I find unattractive. Looks like a kid's diaper. Weber must have picked this design because it's easy to manufacture, not because it looks good. I'll make something a bit more tailored. In order to easily see what I had to work with, I ripped all the seams apart on the Weber cover and ironed the panels flat (carefully so as not to melt them). I also avoided ironing the Weber logo as I'm almost sure it's just thermoset vinyl and would melt for sure. Using some scrap fabric of similar weight as the Weber fabric I sewed a test cover to help with proof of concept, order of operations, and to check for final fit.

Tank Cover.JPG

I hung the concept cover and tank on my Performer and used a piece of paper the size of the Weber logo to aid in deciding the logo's final positioning. A cardboard template was cut to make locating the logo and the warning/instruction patch on the resized panels easy and accurate. The synthetic fabric panels were cut with an Edge Hotknife, this will seal the edges of the fabric preventing them from fraying, making finishing easier.

The base of the cover was filled with a strip of rubber sheet to add some weight and rigidity. Sewing was straightforward with the most difficult part being keeping the tank pleats even around the base strip. I used my Ultrafeed LSZ-1 walking foot machine, but for this project I think any decent home sewing machine would work. I added the Weber care tags and I also took the liberty of adding a Made in USA tag. The original cinch cords and finger locks were also reused, just shortened.

Tank Cover2.JPG

Weber supplied the Performer with a "Match holder for Performer and Summit grills, PN. 85509" (about $5.00). In the event of electronic ignition failure, one can use this holder with a match to help light the burner. I guess Weber didn't want you reaching too far into a kettle full of unlit propane while trying to light it with a match. You almost never find these match holders with the grill, I think because there is no secure place to keep them on the grill. So, I added straps to my propane cover to stow the match holder.

Also shown, test sample for my custom "Performer" logo in a custom Weber font. A "Weber" font doesn't exist, it's just a logo. I manipulated and invented some of the letters to make it look cohesive. The vinyl is the same silver color as the aluminum Weber badge, I also had some cut in black in case anyone with a later Performer would like one. Probably cost about $9.00 for the logo. Sorry, but quality vinyl lettering just isn't as cheap as I think it should be.

Performer Logo Tank Cover.JPG

Performer Logo Tank Cover2.JPG

That was a fun project and I think it looks cool. Grill is still under construction. Thanks for viewing the thread.

~~ Tim

Last edited:
Sewing projects are fun. I gave momentary thought to sewing a cover for my WSC when I saw the price Weber wants for an OE cover, but found a better (and easier) alternative.
Your restore is looking amazing... it's all about the details.

Sewing projects are fun. I gave momentary thought to sewing a cover for my WSC when I saw the price Weber wants for an OE cover, but found a better (and easier) alternative.
Your restore is looking amazing... it's all about the details.
Thanks Michael. . . . and everyone.

Since Weber has discontinued the SS Performer covers, I've been considering taking a Summit Kamado cover and customizing/tailoring it to fit. Not sure what features I'd like in a custom cover? I was thinking a big vertical side zipper would make installation easier? Mesh vents with rain flaps? Handles?

Thanks Michael. . . . and everyone.

Since Weber has discontinued the SS Performer covers, I've been considering taking a Summit Kamado cover and customizing/tailoring it to fit. Not sure what features I'd like in a custom cover? I was thinking a big vertical side zipper would make installation easier? Mesh vents with rain flaps? Handles?

The Amazon option I just picked up for the WSC is a decent alternative for a third of what Weber wanted.
It has handles (not sure I care about those). There are tunnel vents front and back which are a great addition. I live on the open bay and the wind can be insane. Having the vents to let all that air dump is a huge benefit. The size of the WSC certainly begs for a zipper in the cover and there is plenty of fabric to add a #5 zipper down the side opposite the bulge for the Snap-Jet box on the right. I have the zipper, pulls and crimps in my parts bin just need to make time.

Tim, you’re having way too much fun with your project! I very much like the match holder storage spot!
I’m trying to finish designing the cover for my unit. The difficulty is I use the 22 all year round and would need to have access to that end without too much fuss. Like I say, still in the design phase.

I sold a handful of these through Facebook. ($38.75 + $3.95 shipping). I have one left for now and it's on eBay of anyone is interested. I'm waiting for more covers and match holders to arrive from Weber.

Yeah, I know that sounds pricey. The cover donors are $12.00 and the match holders are almost $7.00 on line. Plus another buck for materials. Quickest I've been able to complete one is 3 hours. I'm doing these for fun and for the esoteric few who might want one.

Tank coparison.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool! I found a brand new 5# tank a few years ago I just need to remove the longer hose the previous owner put on, I just need to find the time(and cooler weather) to do so. I may hit you up for one soon.

Back