Making a new ring on the cheap

StanHenson

TVWBB Member
Hi guys,

Today while at the local Walmart, I saw a pack of disposable aluminum? grill liners, around $3 for a 4 pack. They looked like thin aluminum versions of expanded metal. Dimensions were 12 inches by 15.25 inches. If I did my math right, I could come up an approximately 14.5/6 inch ring by cutting two of these in half and connecting three of the pieces with wire.

I'm thinking that this might be a cheap way to try a smaller ring in my 22.5 WSM before committing to more time and materials. If they can handle grill heat, surely they can handle smoldering charcoal in a WSM.

Thoughts?

Stan - I used these to make a ring for my Smokey Joe Smoker Conversion. If you use those for a ring, it will work for a short while, but the heat of the charcoal weakens and pretty much melts the thin aluminum over time.

I found a strip of expanded steel at Lowe's and used it to make the ring for my Smokey Joe Smoker.

Pat

I have used these on a charcoal grill as well and even for just using on the food grate it only lasted a few grills.

I would also suggest getting the expanded steel sheets (lowes/home depot) and using a few bolts/nuts to keep it in a circle.

From the right metal supplier, a piece of expanded metal shouldn't cost much at all, especially if the shop has it in scraps ("drops"?), which it should. Then get some hardware (bolts, nuts, and big fender washers) to hold it all to the right diameter, and you're almost done.

How hard/easy is it to work with expanded metal? Is it something that a fairly unskilled guy could bend at home with things like a crowbar, hammer, screwdrivers, vice grips, workbench and such (but no tools specifically for metal-working)? I'd love to make a custom charcoal basket for my grill to get an ultra-hot searing zone for a couple of steaks. At the risk of showing my status as "unskilled labor man," do you think a wet saw with a diamond blade for cutting things like porcelain tile would work for making a single cut to get the height of the ring just right? Thanks!

You just need a good pair of wire cutters. For my 22 WSM I made it in two sections and attached each end with stainless bolts, nuts and washers. I'll try and see if I can find a picture of mine. You can bend fairly easy with just your hands.

Dan

Mark, Careful about what wire cutters you buy or borrow. You'll need something large enough to cut through that relatively heavier gauge steel. I have "aircraft shears" that work extremely well. "Metal cutters" would probably be good. Wire cutters designed for copper wire could be a real problem -- especially smaller sizes.

Alternatively, you could consider just making yourself a "ring" (or whatever shape) with a few fire bricks.

Rich

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Mark, Careful about what wire cutters you buy or borrow. You'll need something large enough to cut through that relatively heavier gauge steel. I have "aircraft shears" that work extremely well. "Metal cutters" would probably be good. Wire cutters designed for copper wire could be a real problem -- especially smaller sizes.

Alternatively, you could consider just making yourself a "ring" (or whatever shape) with a few fire bricks.

Rich

Good point, Rich, but there's no need to use heavy gauge expanded metal. Not only is it harder to cut, but it's more expensive and harder to make in to a ring and bolt together. I'm not saying to use the lightest gauge out there, but thankfully, the ring doesn't need to be as heavy as the grate.

Rich, Thanks for the heads up. I may make a trip to Harbor Freight for an inexpensive pair of metal cutters. I want to try to use an expanded metal ring to try to duplicate the result I recently got from grilling a steak on a grate placed on top of a starter chimney:
65ffb567.jpg

I think the expanded metal basket might be the way to go to fashion something simple that fits in the charcoal grill, is big enough to do two steaks at once, and still delivers extreme searing heat.

Thanks for the insight and advice on working with expanded metal! I got a sheet last night and made a basket for my grill. It cut easily with metal shears and was easy to bend by hand. It fits nicely between the charcoal grate and the grill grate and should be big enough for a couple of steaks. Here is version 1. I plan on cleaning up the rough edges with a Dremel this weekend, but I have ribeyes in the fridge, and can't wait that long to give it a try.

b68ca829.jpg

Back