Makin' the bacon!

Derek Stapleton

TVWBB Super Fan
I've done back bacon a few times and wanted to try something a bit different. So, side bacon it is! The 3lb slab cured in the fridge for 6 days with a dry cure of salt, brown sugar and a touch of Prague #1. Once it was rinsed, it sat uncovered in the fridge for another 12 hours. On smoking day, I gave it a dusting of maple pepper, a blend of local maple sugar and cracked black pepper and gave it some smoke until it 150 degrees internal.

Now I know why people say they will never go back to store bought bacon once they have had it made at home. Next time through I will skip the maple pepper rub - I don't think it really added much except for peppercorn halves falling all over the place while slicing!

Rubbed and ready to go!
IMG_4122.JPG

Smoked and ready to come off the WSM.
IMG_4126.JPG

Starting to slice - realized afer the first couple that to get a better meat / fat ratio I should slice in the other direction.
IMG_4129.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job, Derek. I personally never worry about which side I cut.....I pick on desired length. No breakfast table complaints yet!

Picture perfect bacon Derek!
I agree with Bob. That's a beautiful cut of belly to start with. The secret to bacon is that its so easy, don't you agree? Well, you're hooked now!
I can never decide which way to slice my bacon. Slicing it at the ends eliminates curling when cooking, so I usually do it that way.

Back