Makin Bacon - I hope !

Glad to hear it turned out, Sheila! I don't believe bacon has a grain - it looks the same sliced on either side, so I generally go whichever way fits in my slicer best.

Jon, I do not agree completely. The red parts of the bacon are muscles, right, and the muscle fibers are oriented in the same direction. So it is possible to cut along the fibers, or to cut them into short pieces in slices.
I'm not quite sure however if it is possible to find any difference when eating the bacon in all pieces, but i find bacon that is cut along the fibers of the muscle tougher to chew.
This is more noticable if you make bacon from let's say the neck of the pig, where the muscle content is much larger.
I usually cut the bacon from the neck and down, or from the belly and up. The result is short fibers. The fat in the bacon does not have a "direction".

Last edited:
I bought the Chefs Choice slicer. It did a fine job of slicing the bacon, pretty easy to clean up too. I'm very pleased with it.

The bacon, on the other hand, is WAY too smokey. I cooked up a sampling of it and I'm afraid it turned ... it had an "off", rancid smell when I was frying it - no bacon smell at all. I'm afraid to eat it. The pepper slab is still in the freezer. Decided I didn't want to mess with bacon any more today. While this wasn't hard to do, it was time consuming (and fridge consuming). I'm incredibly disappointed. :(

Do you know what model chefs choice slicer you bought?

Back