Make Your Own Wooden Lid Handle

Update:

I have found a woodworker here in San Jose who is willing to take on a small job like wooden grill handles. He will produce 30 handles in hard rock maple and 20 handles in reclaimed teak. Pieces will be sanded but unfinished and ready for whatever stain, oil or wax you want to apply or not. Handles will not have any logo on them. They should be available in about two weeks. Not sure yet on pricing, I will let all of you know.

By the way, I had some of the old replacement Weber wooden handles they used to sell in 3-packs...he says those appear to be maple, thus the choice of maple for this initial run of handles.

Not taking pre-orders at this time...will set that up on PayPal when the time comes.

Stay tuned,
Chris

Update:

I received the first batch of handles and while visually they appear to be fine, they exhibit alignment problems when fitted and fastened to the metal handle on the WSM. It turns out these simple looking handles require some very precise machining and small variations can result in handle sets that do not fit properly.

So I have nothing to offer at this time. I will be working with my supplier to see if the situation can be improved and we'll see where we go from there.

Regards,
Chris

...these simple looking handles require some very precise machining...
i found this to be so true when I made the metal portion of the handle for the WSM mid-section... using new Weber plastic handles, I thought simple bent stainless steel would be fine until the plastic handle was taken apart and found that it is actually fitted/encased/enclosed around the metal handle...
WSM%20side%20handle.jpg

Thanks Chris, I was thinking he might need a Smokey Joe to test them on. Or better yet a WSM.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by george curtis:
please explain !!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
Thanks Chris! Luckily I scored some handles yesterday, they fit like a glove.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember that one 18.5" on sale on CL that had 3 wooden handles. Well, I got a good deal on it. So, I put 2 of the handles on my 22 WSM, and 1 handle on my 18 wsm. Now that 18 kettle has plastic handles. Once that sells, hopefully I would have got the handles for free or 5 bucks at the most if I sell it for less.

oh, ok. kinda feel sorry for the 18 though. i'm one of those that likes to keep things original as much as possible. i will sacrafice the plastic handles though as i like to think the webers will thank me.

I like the plastic handles (3) on the 18"WSM only cuz they clean easier than wood.
I seem to get dirtier when I use the smoker than I do using the kettles.
I have all the kettles (6) fitted with wood handles.

Update:
I have decided to end my relationship with the woodworker that was producing handles for me. For a variety of reasons that I won't go into here, it turns out that we were unable to create handles in volume that met my quality standards.

Regards,
Chris

With Dad in town we got talking about the wooden handles. Since I got him and my brother the WSM, along with the neighbor having more grills then me we decided to take the drawings from the main page and see what we could do. We made a prototype out of some scrap pine and they looked very good. I have some Black walnut so we started cutting it up. Once I get it finished I will post again.

P1030725.JPG
P1030728.JPG

P1030729.JPG

Originally posted by Rob Redman:
With Dad in town we got talking about the wooden handles. Since I got him and my brother the WSM, along with the neighbor having more grills then me we decided to take the drawings from the main page and see what we could do. We made a prototype out of some scrap pine and they looked very good. I have some Black walnut so we started cutting it up. Once I get it finished I will post again.

P1030725.JPG
P1030728.JPG

P1030729.JPG

Looks great! Walnut is going to look fantastic. I made up some vent tab covers that slide on. Check it out
IMG_0147.jpg

Nice handle, Mike. And those vent tab covers are just COOL! How much you wanna bet they get dirty REAL fast
icon_cool.gif
-- just look at that vent...

Rich

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Nice handle, Mike. And those vent tab covers are just COOL! How much you wanna bet they get dirty REAL fast
icon_cool.gif
-- just look at that vent...

Rich

The picture shows the wood handles and tab covers after 2 butt cooks. I have been surprised that they don't seem to pickup much smoke crud. I just applied Watco oil to finish them and it seems to be working.

Back