Make your own eyelets/grommets for under $5

What drill bit did you guys end up using to create the hole for the rod? I just received my 18.5 yesterday and I am excited to vet the ball rolling

Sorry but I should have been a little more clear in my question. I understand there were some issues with the porcelain chipping and some debating on the best technique to minimize that. Is there a special bit/tool I need to use?

Drill slow, maybe tape off the surrounding area, use a Cobalt bit if you have one and use oil on the bit regardless of the bit type.

Originally posted by Larry T:
Sorry but I should have been a little more clear in my question. I understand there were some issues with the porcelain chipping and some debating on the best technique to minimize that. Is there a special bit/tool I need to use?

I put two layers of blue painters tape over the area I was going to drill. Then took a center punch (or you can use a 16 penny nail) and gave it a firm tap - this creates a tiny dimple that keeps the bit from wandering. I made sure to lube the bit well with 3-in-1 oil as I was drilling, and kept to a good medium speed.

Does anyone have the specific locations where it would be ideal to location to drill the hole. I noticed that there was one mention of below the top grate and above the bottom grate.

I copied J-Rod's idea too.
However, I used no tape for drilling, no center punch and no oil.
I did use a "Unibit".
DSCN4912.JPG
DSCN4905.JPG

I had no problems with porcelain chipping or the bit wandering...
When not using the eyelets, I cap 'um...
DSCN4904.JPG

...and when using the eyelets, the cap has a temporary home, on the lid holder.
DSCN4906.JPG

I placed these eyelets approximately an inch lower from the top grate, one on each side of the WSM.
DSCN4908.JPG
DSCN4909.JPG

Thanks to J-Rod again!!

This may be a stupid question - Why would there not be an eyelet above the top grill rack for the temp probe to go into any meat that is up there? I just got a used 18.5" WSM but haven't used it yet (I am a complete newbie at this). I am waiting for my Maverick 732 to arrive and I would like to make this mod when it gets here. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Stewart,

There is not enough room to put an eyelet. The only think above the top rack is the lip that holds the lid on.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
I copied J-Rod's idea too.
However, I used no tape for drilling, no center punch and no oil.
I did use a "Unibit".
DSCN4912.JPG
DSCN4905.JPG

I had no problems with porcelain chipping or the bit wandering...
When not using the eyelets, I cap 'um...
DSCN4904.JPG

...and when using the eyelets, the cap has a temporary home, on the lid holder.
DSCN4906.JPG

I placed these eyelets approximately an inch lower from the top grate, one on each side of the WSM.
DSCN4908.JPG
DSCN4909.JPG

Thanks to J-Rod again!!

I noticed a black washer that was placed between the rod and the outside finish of the smoker. What did you use for that? I was considering a neoprene washer but was concerned with the heat.

If I might ask why do this at all? I've never had any issues simply running the probe wires under the lid?

I've been doing this several years and had no issues.

Is the point that the probe wire can break or that the probe does not work correctly?

Thanks for the great idea. I put 4 eyelets on mine last night. I drilled an 1/8" hole first and followed up with the 3/8" drill bit. Cleaned up the hole with a file and was good to go with no need to use touch up paint. The blue tape helped I think as well as using a punch to keep the drill bit from wandering.

I am going to do my first smoke tonight!

Stephen,

Yes, you can ruin the probes running them underneath the lid.

I have the old Nu Temp Wireless receiver with 3 wireless transmitter. GREAT system, never have any range issues or misreadings. 2 of the 3 probes went out due to running it under the lid. So I got 4 replacements and they went out due to poor quality probes. Now I only have 1 probe left (one of the originals), so the system is pretty much worthless as Nu Temp no longer sells these. Oh, and the great part.... I have yet to find another probe that works with these transmitters. But hey, I know what the ambient temp is
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Yes, thru the top grate. On my 22 my top rack has the flip up sides (from my performer) making it very easy.

I run mine around the side of the top grate. Because I generally do more than one meat and often use the bottom grate, I want to be able to move the top grate without having restrictions with the wire running through the grate. Minor detail, though -- works fine either way.

Rich

I've read through this gleaning all the different ideas and methods trying to decide what would work best for me.

I keep coming back with the fact that since my Mav. 732 transmitter hangs on the side, I've got plenty of lead to run both probes through one port. I just need to decide the best place for the 1 port. I guess I need to go measure to make sure I'm not missing something, and I may be. Considering cooking on either or both grates might make it obvious once I look at the distance.

BTW, the idea of the dummy port to hold the cap is greatness!

I picked up the stuff to do this today. I actually got excited to see that I could almost do it with brass tubing parts, until I realized the smallest "port" was a 1/4 which is like 1/2" OD, so too big. They had none of the smaller ones, yet did have the plugs.

So I got the lighting parts and will now decide whether to do 2 ports or 1 and where to put 1 or 2 on my kettle as well.

Originally posted by Larry T: I noticed a black washer that was placed between the rod and the outside finish of the smoker. What did you use for that? I was considering a neoprene washer but was concerned with the heat.
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner... neoprene (i believe) would not withstand the heat. The "black washer" i used is a FIBER washer. Fiber washers will take heat. Over time, they do break down.
If you bought your WSM new, Weber included Fiber washers at various points of assembly.
Fiber washers are available at your local hardware store.

I will answear some of the questions as best I can in regards to why I did things a certain way when I originally did this.

1) Where to place the holes:
I did one approx 1-2" below the top grate and one approx 1-2" above the bottom grate. My units sit next to my WSM on a small table so it made easier reach for me to run them as direct as possible. But you can place them wherever works best for you.

2)Moving the upper grates with probes in:
When I need to move the upper grate to get at the lower in the middle of the smoke I just unplug the therm from the reciever and place the upper rack onto my 22.5" Weber Kettle that sits right next to my WSM. The probe cord is long enough to allow that without having to pull the probe out of the meat.

3) The gasket idea:
A gasket is a nice idea if you want to do it, but is not required. I chose to skip it myself.

4) Just running the probes under the lid:
You can do this, but you run the risk of eventually pinching the wire and damaging it, resulting in a dead probe wich really sucks in mid smoke.

I just made the mod to fit how I use my WSM, but there is no right or wrong on placement or any extra bells and whistles, just do what works best for your set up.

Back