Make your own eyelets/grommets for under $5

Originally posted by george curtis:
i wen't out to get some of that rod and the only thing i could find was steel even though it was brass colored. i'll keep searching.

If you go to the plumbing fittings, you can get an all brass threaded nipple.

One thing I just though about, I wonder if both probes would have fit through 1 hole.

Josh, Not only will both probes (ET-732) fit, but 3 probes will go -- two with the 90* bend. (BTW, I used exactly the same parts you did -- mine came from Lowe's.)

I still prefer having the two holes even though I don't always use them. And getting the cover is a definite need to keep wasps out if you don't use the WSM frequently.

John, I would still go with the lamp rod over the brake line nuts. One reason being the cover. Secondly, I like the look and secure feeling of having a nut on each side. Finally, experience is proof. They work and work well. If I don't want to probe, the WSM remains sealed up (with the covers).

Rich

Rich, I tested them later and figured out I could get more in there. In fact I used the next larger size in my performer. Also picked up some caps.

Rich, I recently competed the eylet mod using the lamp rod. I had not read your post about the caps, but was fortunate enough to see the caps when I bought the rod and nuts in the lighting dept. at lowes. I had not thought about the wasps and hornets, but rather keeping it air tight after the cook is done. I couldn't be happier with the results. One thing that I did, was to paint mine with a little brushed nickel paint to help it blend in with everything else. An additional mod I am thinkiing about doing is drilling a hole in one of the legs and mounting a 'dummy' piece of lamp rod. I am always worried about loosing my cap, and this will give me something (on the WSM) to screw the cap on while I have probes fed through the lamp rod. This way, I always know where my cap will be. Again, this pretty simple mod has really proven to be well worth the effort and minimal price.
Tim

Hey, Tim. YOUDDA MAN! Great idea about adding another lamp rod to the leg to hold that (those) cap(s) not in use. I'm always concerned about knocking them off my grill table, bouncing off the deck and into the years of leaf cover below (I live in the woods -- no lawn). Not expensive, but a definite hassle factor. And this gives a "reason for being" for the extra rods in that multi-pak (or the cutoff from a longer rod). This is an IMMEDIATE minor mod! Thank you!

Rich

Yup, that too. Two days ago, I found the cap on it's edge on my grill table. Next comes roll, roll, roll.

Since I put two ports in, I'm going to run mine through the leg in case I'm using both (one cap on each side).

Rich

I finally snapped some not-so-great photos of the lamp grommets using the existing upper strap supports, like the BBQ Guru eyelets. The existing holes were enlarged and SS metric nuts were used with the smallest rod pictured in the assorted pack earlier in the thread.

IMAGE_042.jpg

IMAGE_041.jpg

What a great mod for $5!!

Just installed one on my restored Performer, since on the very first cook I noticed that the probe wires were kinda crimped tight under the lid. There is still a little wiggle when I use them with my Weber kettle (non-weber lid) and UDS (Weber kettle lid), but with the Performer I now have a Weber lid on a Weber kettle, so I guess the fit is more precise. I keep the cap in the little toolbox which is pretty well enclosed (pre-2000 Performer), but can easily add the cap-keeper mod if needed.

Originally posted by M.T. Hirsch:
I finally snapped some not-so-great photos of the lamp grommets using the existing upper strap supports, like the BBQ Guru eyelets. The existing holes were enlarged and SS metric nuts were used with the smallest rod pictured in the assorted pack earlier in the thread.

Are you able to get both ET-732 probes through a single hole using the 3/16" grommet?

That was my project for Fathers' Day and I must say that it was an easy , inexpensive modification. The most difficult part was finding the hardware at Home Depot .Of course it would help if I had asked someone , but who does that !!!
icon_smile.gif

To any and all folks with questions on the life span for these I am the original poster and am now a little over 1 yr. in.

No problems or issues of any kind with either the holes I drilled or the lamp rod parts. Glad to see this mod has been so popular!

Back