Make your own eyelets/grommets for under $5

Originally posted by Stephen:

Is the point that the probe wire can break or that the probe does not work correctly?

signs011.gif

The Maverick cables are really temperamental and I've had one cable fail already and begin to fray from just a few weeks of use.

And besides it keeps us guys busy and another excuse to bring out tools.

Well the handle ideas was great, I've added them to my 22" WSM water pan and the sides of the main body but in over 10 years of using a Maverick thermometer I only had a problem when the actual probe end decided to die.

Love to use tools just not for everything under the sun.
icon_biggrin.gif

I wanted to add my experience with the grommets.

I picked up the lamp hardware to do both of mine. The WSM went without a hitch! Perfect holes and looks and works great.

My OTG on the other hand, it appeared the porcelain may have been a little thicker, maybe not, but when I removed the tape on both sides, a porcelain "shell" came with it. Same new bit, drill everything. One side took a bigger piece than the other, but both lost a chunk.

I'm not too worried about it, except the appearance, since it's not down into the metal, but I was really surprised. The WSM is nearly brand new but the OTG is a year or so and has cooks on it as well as has been through record cold temps for north Texas earlier this year and now record heat streak. I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it, but it just seemed more brittle, even with 2 layers of tape and a new titanium bit.

So it goes to show, it can happen no matter what precautions you take.

As an aside I was surprise how think the sheet metal is on these things. I was impressed.

Just did this myself. picked everything up at Homedepot and was suprised at how easy it was. I am able to fit 4 probes through the whole. Used tape and went down and picked up a new bit just trying to take every precaution not to chip the porcelain. I guess the Weber Gods were smiling because it worked perfect. Just wanted to say thanks for the information on how to make them.

Back