MAJOR Cooking Slump & Hiatus

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
Have any of you guys got in a cooking slump? I literally haven't grilled or cooked really in over 9 months I'd say. I just can't get the motivation. I don't know if it's the long hours I'm putting in or what, but I just ain't got it anymore. I haven't been active for even longer than that, but that's due to some serious medical issues (SMA Syndrome). I don't even make bread anymore, and I was as into that as I was Webers and grilling. I mean like, sourdoughs, ferments, complicated recipes and shaping, all that.

About all I've been eating is quick frozen food, ham and roast beef sandwiches, Chik-Fil-A, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and Jack's. It's weird, I was so gung ho about grilling, smoking, and even trying to compete in amatuer comps, but now I can't imagine comps or even getting out there to load up the Performer. It's like it's a hassle to get it going, and it is a fair amount of work cleaning, loading, lighting, and waiting, but it all use to be worth it totally. Maybe I need to just get a gas grille to try and get back going? I have no idea.

Anyone ever had this happen? A long term slump and loss of all interest? I'm not whining here, just wondering if this happens ever so often to some people.

Barb and I were grilling/ smoking almost every day toward the end of summer, but only posted what cooks we thought were different or interesting. No need to show the basic burger or chop. But to your point we did get grilling burn out. I was kind of glad when Winter hit, so I could do some other things inside and get some different flavors going.
Yesterday did a new chili on the performer for the Cardinals game on Thursday and split pea soup in the house for last nights dinner. First time I've fired up the performer in weeks.
For me if something becomes a routine I get bored with it real fast and will go on to something else.

I have found myself cooking less than normal last 2-3 months. During football season in a normal year I would grill something Saturday and do a low and slow all day cook on Sunday every weekend. I would have to plan around the Ole Miss and Cowboys games! I work in oil and gas and this economic slump has really taken its toll causing longer hours. My son in 17 months old and a majority of my home time is spent with him as it should be. I still cook pretty often but not as much as I did. I think grilling/smoking will always be a passion of mine but sometimes more important stuff comes up! If firing up the grill doesn't sound like as much fun as it used to be take a break. Spend your free time as you see fit. The grill isn't going anywhere!

I grill smoke a lot but simply don't post every cook. A man has to eat. Life's too short for crappy food

TRUE.

I watched a guy at the checkstand line unload a cart full of frozen "dinners". It's nice being able to cook!

Skip the take-out & cook soups - those will feed you for a few days (freeze a little on the first or 2nd day). If you're going to cook inside use cast iron (great crust on burgers, non-stick,)

Gas grills are great too.

I was wondering why you weren't posting...

Hey RC, I don't want to go all dark and dreary on you, but if your slump is worrying you or affecting other parts of your life, maybe it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor or someone you trust about it. It could be something more than a slump and that's a place you don't want to be! On the bright side, it's very likely you're simply taking a well deserved break in the action. Take care of yourself! linda

I started playing more tennis and doing other stuff and just got out of the habit. I didn't buy any charcoal at the Labor Day sales for the first time in years (usually buy a couple hundred pounds).

I started back with my annual Thanksgiving brisket and haven't looked back. I'm finally cooking what's in the freezer and have been asked to cater (hobby, not professional) a couple of Christmas parties. I'm enjoying it more after the layoff.

I'm not cooking during the week as much as I have been (work s***s), but usually manage to get 2-3 cooks in on the weekend. Every once in a great while, I'll get home early during the week and get to grill something, but that's not gonna happen for a while. Winter is my busiest season for batteries.

It's not unheard of for people to get deep, deep, deep into a hobby, whether it's grilling or cars or whatever, and eventually burn-out and leave it behind completely. Maybe that's what happened to you...grilling/barbecuing overload...I remember you being such a prolific cooker and poster. The goal is NOT to get back to where you were, but to a new place where you enjoy grilling as an occasional activity...part of a balanced diet, so to speak.

I wish you all the best as you try to figure it out! :) P.S. Oh, and I agree with what Linda said, too.

RC, I hit a slump sometime back. Was burning food, over spicing things, and just didn't like the hassle of cooking things. So I just stopped cooking and found a new hobby - camping. Got my mojo back sometime later on a fluke cook of some chicken on a camping trip. Didn't do anything special, just simple drumsticks. Now I'm back smoking ribs, grilling chicken and a steak or burger once in a while. Ended up smoking a turkey this year and last... and everyone like both of them. My answer is no more brine, funky spices or anything that needs a lot of prep. Things seem to come out better this way and I get to hang out just grilling or smoking ribs when it is warm. Maybe this is your story. Good luck.

It's not unheard of for people to get deep, deep, deep into a hobby, whether it's grilling or cars or whatever, and eventually burn-out and leave it behind completely. Maybe that's what happened to you...grilling/barbecuing overload...I remember you being such a prolific cooker and poster. The goal is NOT to get back to where you were, but to a new place where you enjoy grilling as an occasional activity...part of a balanced diet, so to speak.

I wish you all the best as you try to figure it out! :) P.S. Oh, and I agree with what Linda said, too.
I am a classic example of someone who becomes obsessed with his hobbies. Photography, I had expensive cameras and lenses and knew everything about lens speed, f-stops, depth of field, you name it. Now I take pictures with my phone. Skiing, I became a professional ski tuner. Haven't skied since the shorter skis came out. Bike racing, I built my own bikes and wheels. Haven't raced in 20 years. Hunting, I knew all the ballistic tables and reloaded my ammo. Haven't been hunting since my 26 year-old was in middle school. Tennis, I restring my own rackets. Barbecuing, well, owned countless grills and smokers, modded most of them, make my own rubs and sauces...and although I took some time off, I'M BACK! This is one hobby that won't burn out!

Thanks for the support guys, I am going to get back into it hopefully. I enjoyed it while I was heavily into it and especially enjoyed discussing stuff with the community. A lot of great people here. Maybe I did get into it too hot and heavy though and needed a break when I burnt out. I need to get a gas Weber to make firing up easier, charcoal still seems like a major chore to me for some reason.

I think you just need a nice big drink :)

Are you still 4-wheeling?

Merry Christmas coming soon to you & the rest of the board.

Back