Maintenance for a Weber Genesis?

Tim Murphy

TVWBB Fan
Dear Board,

I made a post earlier today and I realized that I have been visiting this board for almost 4 years.

I joined when I bought a Weber Genesis and a Weber OTG Labor Day weekend 2013.

I'm pretty good at keeping up with cleaning the OTG because everything is pretty much visual. If it looks gunked up it probably is, so I clean it accordingly.

When it comes to gassers I'm pretty much lost. I clean the grease trap and the flavor bars and the drip pan several times a year depending on use. I'm wondering about whether I am getting to the end of life for the burners and if there is an easy way to tell? I use the grill heavily from November to April but in the warmer months I like to use charcoal.

If anyone can offer me any tips on how to know if my gasser is ailing, or how to make sure it isn't, I'm all ears.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Harrisburg, PA :)

If something was broke you'd know. Bad igniter, low heat, hot spots ECT... Since your cleaning often I'm sure you taken visual inspection if burners. Burn or rust through would be seen. I think newer propane have screens from preventing spider webs in gas tubes. The best way to know if it ailing.. use it often. Those are too new to need anything done. Just enjoy until something breaks.

The burner tunes are pretty much straight forward and easy to diagnose. Tap along them with a screwdriver or something metal to see if they are still solid. With everything else in the cook box removed, fire the grill up and check out the flame pattern. Are the flames uniform? Are any of the holes in the burner tunes clogged? Are there any splits in the tubes causing variation in the flame pattern?

Honestly, on a 4 year old Weber, I'd be more concerned about the cart as they aren't as durable as older generations were. If you can, give the entire thing a close "short arm" inspection. Check the seams and the frame tubes. Inspect the paint closely. Look for any bubbles or signs of rust. If possible, take everything out of the firebox, remove the lid and lay the grill on its back to check out the underside of the bottom panel and the frame.

If you do find any rust and aren't sure what to do, post pictures and someone can probably help.

I know Weber says it isn't need, but if there is paint on something in this house, it gets a coat of a wax or sealant.

The main thing I have to do with my Genny is pull the drip catchers and the drip pan and clean them. If you don't the dripping will stick and those dripping will eventually catch fire, probably during a cook dumping black smoke all over your cook

Back