Maiden Voyage

DennisT

TVWBB Member
Took my WSM 18" for a test run today (no food). My target was 250 - at 200 I cut the vents to half-open. Temp climbed to 270 but I think that was mostly due to the WSM being in the sun. Once I moved it into the shade the temp dropped to 235. I opened the vent to 3/4 then to full and it climbed to 250 and stayed there for a few hours until charcoal started running out. All in all, I thought a pretty successful run. My deck is in full sun a good part of the day so I'm going to get a pop-up so that I can have my WSM in the shade. It will also provide shade for me to sit with a few cold beverages while cooking.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that when in the shade the dome thermometer was pretty accurate, within a few degrees of my Smoke 2 which was at the center of top grate. I don't plan on relying on the dome thermometer but it's nice to know that it is pretty close.

I think next week I will get a chuck roast and go for some pulled beef

Should've thrown some chicken on there or something! :) Glad you got a good test run in, pulled beef sounds good for your first cook with some meat in there!

R

One suggestion, run another firing load and do a couple of pork butts, very forgiving, very tasty, and large yield for people to go “Ooh!”
The chuck will be great but, it’s a lot of time for nothing but a chuck roast, do them both and, invite some friends for a mixed grill! Why not throw some chicken thighs on too! If you’re using a load of coal, use it to best advantage.
One thing to remember, every cook is different, I mean EVERY cook!

Back