Made some awesome babybacks

Dave Alvarado

TVWBB Super Fan
Didn't get any pictures, but I thought I'd share. Cooked a rack of ribs for a friend today and she said they're the best she's ever had. I know we hear that a lot when we turn out good Q, but still. Dead simple, feel free to steal my recipe.

1. Rubbed the ribs down with a medium coating of 50/50 Bad Byron's Butt Rub and turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
2. Fired up the WSM minion method with 3 chunks of hickory and 3 chunks of apple around the edges of the coal ring.
3. Ribs went on immediately, pit came up to temp and actually ran hot for a while, about 300F. I'd say an average of 275F for the cook.
4. After 2 hours in the smoke, foiled the ribs with a light coating of light brown sugar and some Chipotle-flavor Cholula.
5. After about 40 minutes, removed the foil and brushed on some KC Masterpiece sauce
6. After about 40 more minutes, removed from the smoker.

Ended up perfectly cooked--super tender, but bites left perfect teeth marks. Nice complex flavor with some sweet heat, plus the vinegar and tomato of the KC Masterpiece. I loved them and will be making them this way again.

Back