Made my own Smokenator and then smoked some baby backs

Yong

TVWBB Member
After I got a 22.5" off Craigslist, I decided to try making my own Smokenator. Worked out great! I made some baby back ribs on it yesterday.

ZhkLEDxl.jpg

MRd3iAJl.jpg

Now to go make my own mini-WSM.

Some of the best lookin' ribs I've seen in a while - I can't imagine how great they tasted! :eek:

Think I may try this for my 26.75. Only thing I don't like about the "Smokenator" concept is the consistent hot spot and uneven heat resulting from coals being banked on one side of the kettle. Also, there are instances (posted here on TVWBB) where banked coals, over time in the same area, have broken down the porcelain-enameled finish.

Ooooh, did not know that. But makes sense. Hopefully, I won't have to use it as much afterI make my mini-WSM.

Some of the best lookin' ribs I've seen in a while - I can't imagine how great they tasted! :eek:

Think I may try this for my 26.75. Only thing I don't like about the "Smokenator" concept is the consistent hot spot and uneven heat resulting from coals being banked on one side of the kettle. Also, there are instances (posted here on TVWBB) where banked coals, over time in the same area, have broken down the porcelain-enameled finish.
W Tyler, i use one weber charcoal basket in my 26er, i cover the charcoal grate with heavy duty foil and just leave where the charcoal basket sits open works like a charm. I have no hot spots to speak of, the weber kettle works like a convection oven even heat all around. Using one charcoal basket gets you a very consistent temp of 250-300 range you can dial it in to 275 that's where i do most my smoking.

Rotating its position on a regular basis will help prevent it.

I have the same concerns regarding the porcelain especially contending with winter and the greater expansion and contraction so I have made my own version of the charcoal basket. Now I point out I use this in conjunction with other mods to my 26 but given you are handy enough to replicate the Smokenator I would suggest you consider this idea to save your porcelain. You can place a drip pan right beside this and add water to it if you wish. It's 3/16" mild steel so radiates heat much like a fire brick. I weld it to expanded metal mesh. Works like a charm and much easier to refuel than your Smokenator. It also allows for more indirect grill space than firebrick as it's not as thick.

IMG_0512_zpsc9403ab5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
That's pretty handy sheet metal work. Gary -- yours is great design as well. I think I recall Jim made a nice one for his rig also.

Those ribs do look fine.I really like your set up.I have a mini smoker that I used quite a lot until I got my performer.Now it just sits beside my WSM.....All I used these days is my Performer and a Q100 for quick cooks.

Back