Lump versus briquetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewjeff

TVWBB Member
This is probably an age-old discussion, but for us newbies I thought I'd bring it up...

Many BBQ "purists" swear by lump, and scoff at using briquetts (Kingsford).

To recap the pros and cons (from what I read):

Lump Pros: No binders/additives
Flavor
Lump Cons: Availablity (in my area)
Cost (in my area)
Burns hotter
Use more fuel

Kingsford Pros: Availability
Cost
Temp control
Longer burns
Kingsford Cons: Binders/additives
Flavor

For me, it is a matter of "whatever works for you". I've used both, and I don't notice any flavor difference (then again, I'm having a hard time noticing flavor difference using different types of wood, but that's a different topic).
I'll always use Kingsford for overnights and long cooks.

I find it interesting that it appears that most people here (I may be over-generalizing) use Kingsford.

What do you all think?
What are your experiences with this?

Royal Oak`s briquettes are far better but hard to find. I bought a big bag in the beginning of the season. Can`t put my hands on any anymore, have to settle for Kingsford.

I see no compelling reason to buy lump. It costs twice as much, burns half as long, has more powdery stuff in the bottom of the bag, requires more fire-tending, and I cannot tell any taste difference between lump and Kingsford.

Steve

I, too, would describe myself from the "whatever works for you" camp. Over the past few years I've heard so many conflicting stories from people about how good or bad Kingsford, Royal Oak, store brand briquets, and lump charcoals of all varieties are that I'm not sure there's a single product that stands above the rest.

I think a lot of WSM owners have gravitated toward Kingsford for the same reasons I like it: it's cheap, plentiful, predictable, and burns hot, long, and consistently.

Here are some other threads about charcoal:

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbubb/Forum4/HTML/000143.html
http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbubb/Forum4/HTML/000112.html
http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbubb/Forum4/HTML/000052.html
http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbubb/Forum4/HTML/000038.html

Regards,
Chris

I have used Kingsford, BGE Lump, Nature's Own lump, Winn Dixie hardwood charcoal and Real Taste lump from Walmart. I have also on a few occasions burned oak and apple logs down to coals and used them, without the water pan, to replicate "purist" BBQ. (This method does not take advantage of the WSM's benefits, but it does an adequate job).

What were the results? The wood burned down to coals method resulted in the best overall flavor as it seemed to be richer, but not too smokey. Next best results were achieved with all of the other charcoals and lumps, except the Walmart lump (Real Taste). The Walmart lump was far and away the worst for flavor and heat control, not counting all of the excessive popping that it does.

99% of the time I use Kingsford. If I have time and I plan on being outside most of the day, I burn wood down to coals and use them.

SC Que

I cooked two pork tenderloins with no seasoning on the wsm. One using lump and one using Kingsford. The lump cooked pork had no smoke flavor. It tasted like I cooked it in an oven. The Kingsford pork had a light smoke
ring and a light smoke flavor. Once you put on a rub and use your usual smoke woods, it would be hard to taste any flavor the Kingsford added.
I quit using lump cause it costs more.

I use lump for grilling and it is great, also use for a heat burst if I need it while cooking on my offsets, but look at at what Mean Momma and the Kid have done this year and it's hard to say anything is wrong with Kingsford.
Jim

I became convinced on the merits of kingsford this past weekend. I cooked two pork shoulders for about 14 hours and I barely had to touch my WSM.

I filled the ring with Kingsford but lit a full chimney of lump. Using lump as a starter worked great as it gets hot quick and burns hot. I poured the lit lump over the kingsford and was at at 250* within about 15 minutes. Used some apple as smoke wood. I let the WSM stabalize, put the meat on, closed down the vents a bit and went to bed at 11pm.

Woke up a 2:30 to find my temps @ a steady 225*, topped off my water pan. Went back to bed.

Woke at 6 with steady temps. Refilled the water pan, spayed the shoulder with juice and went and played golf. Came home at noon to find the temps still at 225! (water pan quite low though). Those shoulder bones pulled out like butter. We proceeded to have a fantastic lunch of pulled pork.

Could not of done that with Lump! Also, I think the Q benefited from me not being around peeking and futzing. Kingsford produces long steady consistent temps - which imo, is the most important factor in good Q,

I tend to get a lot of temp spikes using lump. These can be avoided but do require extra attention.

Lump though is still superior for grilling and I will probably continue to use on the WSM when I'm looking for higher temps for chicken and as a starter.

ChrisH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back