Lump Question

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
What does everyone do with all the chips? The pieces that are too small for your chimney? When I remember, I've been taking a handful or two and sprinkling on top of the lit lump that I've poured out of the chimney...but the amount of chips I have in various bags seems to be growing! Curious...

I sometimes set them aside and when I do a cook with charcoal briquettes I will put them on top.:D

Two excellent ideas above. I pick the biggest pieces for my chimney and just add the small pieces to the fire after dumping the chimney.

I agree the amount seems to be growing, some brands worse than others but I use two grates at 90 degrees so I can get some heat out of them and usually I pick my pieces for the chimney and pour the finer stuff on top of the unlit. You do have to be careful if there is too much fine stuff as it can interfere with airflow. I had exactly that happen last night when emptying a charcoal bag.

I line the bottom of the grill with Kingsfird briquettes, then lump on top; the chips stay where they're put.
Likewise I light briquettes in the chimney so nothing slips through.

I've been pondering this problem, wondering if some kind of a heavier basket thing could be used for these chips on smaller cooks like chicken breasts and burgers. Any thoughts?

I use two grates at 90 degrees so I can get some heat out of them

After reading similar comments (maybe by you?) I did the same thing, and am so glad I did.

I've been putting bigger chunks of lump in the bottom of my starter chimney, in hopes of keeping too many of the smaller chips from falling through while I'm trying to get stuff started. Have been happy with that method thus far.

I've been pondering this problem, wondering if some kind of a heavier basket thing could be used for these chips on smaller cooks like chicken breasts and burgers. Any thoughts?

The problem with doing that is that they are so fine you can block air flow then your accustomed settings will change. I would use them for grilling or as the other Gary mentioned sprinkle them in with the briquettes. When I set up my smoker or my kettle I like the bigger pieces on the bottom followed by the next size smaller and so on. Those fine pieces are on top in my setups and are the first to go when I pour lit on my coals.

I try to separate them out as best I can and use them for the grill, they burn so fast and hot they give spikes in temps and especially when you go to start your WSM they give high temp readings quickly.
So I dump them into a charcoal bucket and shake it a little and the smaller pieces fall to the bottom, I then dump the pieces in another bag I kept for that reason and then do it again until I got my smoker where I want it.
Could always use a better method but would like to find better lump, Royal Oak is the best I have had so far as prices for some of the other stuff is absurd.

I normally pour the lump in the chimney, and the chimney is on the previous night's coals to catch anything that falls. I have ran into trouble with airflow in the chimney. Maybe I will try hand filling the chimney. If the previous night's coals are sparse, I fill in the gaps with briquettes so the grate is covered.

Back