Lump or briquettes in the WSK? Which is better?

Cindy Kee

Like the subject says - which fuel to use in the Weber Summit Kamado?

I know that ceramic kamado users swear by lump charcoal as the only way, but my understanding is it's because they have to worry about the amount of ash that is created in the fire box. But it seems that most of the videos I have seen using the WSK, people are just using briquettes just like with the kettle, even for the low-and-slow "kamado" style cooking.

Why is that? What is your preference for both low-and-slow, and for regular grilling when using the WSK?

Oh boy... you had to ask that question. You'll get a bunch of different answers. I use briquettes for low and slow/indirect cooks when I'm using the heat deflector plate on my WSK. The uniform shape of the briqs leads to a uniform ignition of the coal bed, to the temperature control is a little less effort with briqs provided that you build the fire correctly. Kingsford Original, Royol Oak, and B&B are all popular brand for briqs here on the forum. This is not to say one "can't" achieve good temperature control with lump, but you may have to adjust vents more often.

I prefer to use lump when doing anything else but low and slow. There is just so much less ash production with lump charcoal.. Lump also burns hotter so it's really nice for searing steaks/tuna and chops, etc.. Some forum members can tell the difference in flavor when using lump vs briqs but my pallette isn't that refined so I really can't tell the difference. I do think the lump smells a little better when lighting a chimney. Some premium brands made with wood from South America have a little different smell vs lump made in the USA. I like Fogo quite a bit. I have used a lot of Rockwood Brand lump (made in Missouri) and it works well too.

Ceramic grills can't handle the ash output of normal briquettes like Kingsford and Royal Oak... I don't know what exactly that ash does to the ceramics but it's one of several reasons why I bought the WSK instead of a BGE or Kamado Joe.

Oh boy... you had to ask that question. You'll get a bunch of different answers. I use briquettes for low and slow/indirect cooks when I'm using the heat deflector plate on my WSK. The uniform shape of the briqs leads to a uniform ignition of the coal bed, to the temperature control is a little less effort with briqs provided that you build the fire correctly. Kingsford Original, Royol Oak, and B&B are all popular brand for briqs here on the forum. This is not to say one "can't" achieve good temperature control with lump, but you may have to adjust vents more often.

I prefer to use lump when doing anything else but low and slow. There is just so much less ash production with lump charcoal.. Lump also burns hotter so it's really nice for searing steaks/tuna and chops, etc.. Some forum members can tell the difference in flavor when using lump vs briqs but my pallette isn't that refined so I really can't tell the difference. I do think the lump smells a little better when lighting a chimney. Some premium brands made with wood from South America have a little different smell vs lump made in the USA. I like Fogo quite a bit. I have used a lot of Rockwood Brand lump (made in Missouri) and it works well too.

Ceramic grills can't handle the ash output of normal briquettes like Kingsford and Royal Oak... I don't know what exactly that ash does to the ceramics but it's one of several reasons why I bought the WSK instead of a BGE or Kamado Joe.
Yeah, I know I probably asked the most controversial question I could as a new subscriber! 😆 But I do appreciate hearing everyone's opinions.

When I had a Weber kettle several years ago, I had also come to the conclusion that for low-and-slow using the "snake" method, I had to have briquettes for their consistency. I got to a point that it was just easier with a kettle to use briquettes the majority of the time. The times I tried lump charcoal, it would either burn too fast/hot, or take forever to light and get going, and one brand I had would crack and pop and throw little embers all over the place while it was getting started. I felt like I had to dodge the embers! 😯

Hopefully, I was just using poor brands of lump charcoal and this group will be able point me in the right direction for what to use, when, and what brand. 😊

THIS ^^^^^^ exactly +1

JD is my stash. Whatever briqs were on sale is my LAS stash. LAS as in below the heat deflector for overnight cooks, 250° and steady for 6-7 hours.

In a kettle, temp control relies more on how much coal is burning.

In the WSK, and like my BGE temp control is about limiting airflow.

I've used briquettes in my WSK and my BGE and I prefer lump.

Cleaner smoke, less mess, and I prefer lump.

In a kettle, temp control relies more on how much coal is burning.

In the WSK, and like my BGE temp control is about limiting airflow.

I've used briquettes in my WSK and my BGE and I prefer lump.

Cleaner smoke, less mess, and I prefer lump.
I never heard anyone spell this out before about temp control and the kettle! I thought it was mostly airflow in the kettle, too.
No wonder I would get inconsistencies! 😆

I am so much looking forward to my WSK!

You'll love your WSK. IMO, there is no single "right way" or "right coal" but I will tell you the WSK is a great cooker.

Happy using lump or briqs on the WSK.
Typically Lump for hot and fast. Briqs for low and slow.

I haven't proved it conclusively but I think briquettes give me contact dermatitis. Reaction to one of the 'natural' products in them, probably borax.

I use kingsford briquettes and am satisfied with the results. I tried lump, but hate how it damages the fins on the ash scraper. I also don't like the uneven pieces in lump and much prefer the more uniform briquette. Try both and see what you like.

I use kingsford briquettes and am satisfied with the results. I tried lump, but hate how it damages the fins on the ash scraper. I also don't like the uneven pieces in lump and much prefer the more uniform briquette. Try both and see what you like.
Can you share more about lump damaging fins on the ash scraper? I've not noticed this.

Can you share more about lump damaging fins on the ash scraper? I've not noticed this.
Everytime I've used lump either in my kettle or in my WSK, the bottom fins would get bent upwards because little chards of lump would get caught between the fins and the bowl. Never had that problem with briquettes. You can bend them back down, but it is kind of a PITA and I'm lazy.

Everytime I've used lump either in my kettle or in my WSK, the bottom fins would get bent upwards because little chards of lump would get caught between the fins and the bowl. Never had that problem with briquettes. You can bend them back down, but it is kind of a PITA and I'm lazy.
Not sure which lump you used but I cannot say I have shared your experience. I have, however, had ash build up (KPro) and when protein fats dripped onto the charcoal ash, it hardened and forced one of my fins to bend upward. I wound up cleaning the lower cook bowl and bent the fin back down. And I now do a few sweeps every time i'm done cooking and the grill is still hot. This method has stopped any buildup whatsoever AND i religiously foil under proteins for all my indirect cooks (seared on direct fire and moved to indirect to reach final temp). This too has made keeping the lower bowl clean much easier.

Last edited:
I use a mixture of both many times. There is no rule you have to use one or the other. I find the briquettes "slow" things down an improve consistency for longer cooks. For hot/fast cooks, I use almost all lump.

I don't have a WSK, but I had the same issue with the bottom find/ash sweepers when I switched from briquettes to lump in my kettles. I doubled up my charcoal grate and have had much less issues with this.

I prefer lump due to less ash cleanup but will use briqs as well , thinking about splurging on a wsk in 2023

Back