Lump charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that this topic has probably been dealt with previously, but I have not seen the topic. I was wondering how many of you have used lump in your WSM and with what success? Also how much to use in comparison with regular briquettes? Do you get as long a burn time?

A quick search on "lump" returned this short but interesting thread -- and others-- on the use of lump, specifically in the WSM. I use Kingsford. Sounds like a poll-worthy question, Chris.

Ihave used lump, and dislike it for a few reasons. First, lump is not of a uniform size. The problem with this is small pieces fall throuygh the grate. Second, I found the tempature very hard to control since the pieces vary in size so much. In contrast, briquetts do not fall through the grate, they give a even constant burn. I also found I had longer burn times with the briquetts, maybe because I didn't have to mess with the vents nearly as much as with lump.

That all being said, for grilling I still prefer lump.

For the WSM I use Kingsford. I see no advantage and a number of disadvantages to using lump. I ordinarily use the Kingsford to grill also, but last night bought a bag of Royal Oak lump to grill a couple of steaks. I liked it and it reminded me of a camp fire. I think you need to be more careful in starting it in a chimmney, because I noticed sparks heading up toward the roof of my carport when it really got going.

PRG

I have used, or rather tried, lump charcoal on several occasions but I always have trouble keeping it burning. The only way I can do this is by using a small fan which gets old quick. Thus Kingsford is my fuel of choice.

Paul, it's true about the sparks shooting up from the chimney. I tried lump for the first time for steaks, a couple of nights ago, and it looked like a sparkler on the 4th of July.

Not sure how I like it, but it wasn't a fair test. I got tied up with other dinner items, and I think it was past its prime heat temperature by the time I got the meat on the grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back