LP conversion dilemma

R Rose

New to the forum, great information. I need some advice. My old LP grill just died and I’m contemplating making the jump to a Weber genesis II e310. My current house has a LP line for the grill which is awesome. My problem is that in 18 months I will be moving into a house which will have natural gas. I’ve been looking online about conversion and see lots of information. I know Weber warranty is void if I convert. I have seen the orifice drillers, changing orifices, changing the whole manifold. I also have seen a couple members seem to have a lot of expertise in this area. I really don’t want to buy two grills if I can avoid it. I am fairly handy with plumbing, and am aware of the issues with gas. That being said is there a safe reliable method to convert and what do I need to buy. I would prefer to buy both the LP grill and NG conversion now so I have it when I move. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I am really a little unsure about the new crop of Weber grills. My honest advice is to hold off buying until you're actually in a place you will stay and then settle on a fuel source/type. In the mean time if you REALLY need a new grill best advice for short term is just buy an el cheapo and leave it with the house you sell or buy a Q3xxx and keep it as your backup and secondary when you finally settle. Truth is I don't "advocate" doing conversions I simply know how to do them well. IMO the new crop of grills from Weber is too expensive anyway and not nearly as good as the old sidewinders. Maybe someone in the area can hook you up with a restored sidewinder they have a spare manifold for

Thanks for the advice. That is how I was leaning to begin with, you helped me confirm. I’m looking at used Weber’s now for the interim.

R Rose, I would fix up an older Weber and keep it.

In your case, I would do it one of two ways. First, find a good GenesisSilver B or Genesis 1000 or even a Genesis E310 (early E-W version). Then, I would rehab it and use it until you move. THen take it with you as a second overflow or emergency grill at the new place.
OR
After you get it rehabbed, keep your eyes open for another NG version of the grill for cheap and canabalize the NG manifold off of it and hang onto it for when you get to the new place. Then, simply swap out the manifolds and you are set. No drilling or buying new orifices or anything like that.

You should be able to find a good deal (definitely under $100 and maybe curb alert pickup for free) on both grills. The E-W burner configuration makes them more versatile than N-S configured grills which almost are these days. It takes a little work, but for a couple hundred bucks max and some time and effort, you can have an awesome grilling machine.

Check out some of these grill restoration threads to see what you can wind up with: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78822-Restored-Weber-Gas-Grill-Threads-Photos

Bruce, you have given me something to contemplate. Those restorations look great. Are quality parts available for these older models without too much trouble? What is the best source for burners, flavor bars, grates, etc?

R Rose,

You can learn a ton from all of our combined experiences from the "sticky" section of this part of TVWBB. Lots about parts and how to do restorations:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78...ad-Index-The-most-popular-threads-listed-here

In answer to your question, so far most parts are still readily available for the older, "classic" Weber Genesis grills. You can see sources in the link I posted above. For more obscure parts, we all try to help each other out as possible.

I believe you will be really happy if you go the restored older Weber route:coolkettle:!

Thanks for the advice. That is how I was leaning to begin with, you helped me confirm. I’m looking at used Weber’s now for the interim.

Many of the people in this forum are skilled rehabbers. I am not one of those people. I am a first timer, with no previous skills. If I can do it anyone can. Here's what I started with:

V6xqt1V.jpg

Here's where I am now:

VeIeonI.jpg

0M3Ckey.jpg

I still have to finish the wood slats and the tank scale (thanks LM). The people in this forum and the wisdom they have posted here have been invaluable. And don't hesitate to get outside help. I took the cookbox and lid sides to be media blasted and a buddy who is into woodworking cut and planed the slats for me.

J Grotz, is that a brand new manifold?

No it's not. Me and my dremel spent some quality time together. ;)

Well that, quite a few mini wire brushes (thanks Amazon) and a some Krylon high heat glossy paint. The burner tubes are new though. All joking aside, it really didn't take that long and Amazon has 60 of those brushes for $15.

Many of the people in this forum are skilled rehabbers. I am not one of those people. I am a first timer, with no previous skills.

Here's where I am now:

0M3Ckey.jpg

I still have to finish the wood slats and the tank scale (thanks LM).

I don't know, J, looking pretty skilled to me:coolkettle:!

That was as nice of a manifold that I have seen on a rehab to date. Good luck with the rest of the project. Look for a swing table slide bar and rod for that grill. Much more convenient than the older style. They were put on the durawood Genesis 1000 grills.

I don't know, J, looking pretty skilled to me:coolkettle:!

That was as nice of a manifold that I have seen on a rehab to date. Good luck with the rest of the project. Look for a swing table slide bar and rod for that grill. Much more convenient than the older style. They were put on the durawood Genesis 1000 grills.

Thank you Jon and Bruce; that means a lot coming from you guys. Bruce, I was inspired by Ralph Meyer's restoration. He restored his manifold this way.

And I've been looking for a slide bar without success. Anyone have one they want to sell?

Sorry R Rose, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited:
Did you do anything after sandblasting but before painting to the cook box?

No. Other than applying a ton of tape and paper. It sat for a couple of months before I had time to paint it. That's the finish as it came back from the blaster.

RJTe9t5.jpg

OK, the three I had done look the same. I just wondered if you had done anything to prep for the paint. Mine will be sitting for another two months or so.

OK, the three I had done look the same. I just wondered if you had done anything to prep for the paint. Mine will be sitting for another two months or so.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I used the low VOC version of Eastwood's Pre Painting Prep; that is all they can sell to California. It worked well. And I can see the mountains everyday; 30 years ago when I moved out here I only saw them a couple of times that first year.

Back