Low & Slow by Gary Wiviott

I stumbled across this thread while checking my memory about brining turkey-feeding a bunch of homeless folks in Portland this afternoon.

I was amused and surprised at some of the reactions to Gary and his book (which I confess I have not yet purchased).

I've known Gary personally at least 8 years. I can vouch that Gary is one of the best BBQ cooks I know and has a gentle and giving heart.

Gary and I both braved the cold winter winds in Chicago for several years to cook up dozens of turkeys for the Salvation Army at Thanksgiving. One year, it was 14 degrees with a wind chill below zero. I can see in his eyes and in his actions that he loves BBQ and he loves helping people.

Each year, on St Pat's day, he opens his house up to friends and family for his famous corned beef extravaganze-both smoked and boiled. Regardless of what night of the week it lands, it is standing room only.

Gary is also freely giving of cooking tips and advice (well, maybe now he is getting a little $$ for his book) to anyone that asks. His forum (LTH something) is the best source of info on restaurants and food in Chicago.

His style of cooking is unique and oftentimes goes against the "grain" of what is accepted as normal in BBQ circles. What Gary does is focus on the joy of cooking and eating, without worrying about the details that us "engineers" worry about.

I have used his methods, I have used methods I have found on this forum, and I have my own style that I use in competitions and for my own pleasure. I can tell you that all three work and if you decide to use Gary's methods, you will not be disappointed. The big point that Gary is trying to get across is to learn his method precisely as he describes it so at least you have a benchmark. After that, experiment as much as you like.

As for his "biting" style, you gotta meet Gary to understand that better. He is fast talking, quick with the humor as well as with the criticism, but, from personal experience, he is spot on and truthful. I much prefer knowing someone that is straight talking than one that is politically correct. I would think this comments in his book just make it a more interesting read rather than to be taken seriously.

As you might imagine, I am a great fan of Gary's. One event sticks out for me. Our first time actually meeting face to face was in a restaurant in Chicago. I brought my wife and my (at the time) 3 year old daughter. Gary, knowing that three year olds quickly get bored sitting around adults talking about food, brought her a gift of little horses that she could play with at the table while we chatted. While not having any children of his own, he still was astute enought to know what it would take to make our first meeting enjoyable for all.

My hat's off to Gary for teaching me, for teaching others, for being more than just slightly irreverent, and for being a good friend

While I have never met Gary, I really enjoyed "Low and Slow" and think his irreverent and brash style is refreshing and funny. I certainly didn't take offense. I followed most of his early lessons to a "T" when I first started cooking with my WSM, but quickly deviated from "The Program" when I decided I just had to have a brisket (which isn't even covered in L&S). I used the forbidden briquets instead of lump. Lo and behold, not only did Earth keep spinning on her axis, I had some pretty awesome briskey on my first attempt -- and that's largely due to the 'engineers' here.

Definitely agree with the 'jeet kune do' approach: Absorb what is useful and disregard what is not.

I have to give credit to Gary Wiviotts website on the WSM for getting me pointed in the right direction when I first got my WSM. It has been taken down after release of the book and was dedicated to the WSM only. The link can still be found online on "The Wayback Time Machine" website. I posted a link here to it once but it was removed.

That was my first smoker and started an obsession/hobby that still continues today. I have had that smoker for 15 years and it is still a joy to cook on.

I found "Low and Slow" to be a great read and had some great information. But no way I have the patience to follow his course to the letter. And I'm happier for it. But I still recommend his book to anyone getting started.

Rich

A couple of years ago I went to the mall with my wife. While she shopped I went to the bookstore (which is what I usually do). I picked up Gary's book and read it cover to cover while waiting for my wife to call. I have over 30 cook books a few of them BBQ books. As with all instructional books about cooking and BBQ I look at their lessons and recipes as suggestions, rather than gospel, that you can use their method to the letter or you can modify them to fit your particular needs. But I must say that I have learned more from this web site than from any BBQ book that is on the shelves at any book store.

Back