Love the description of this SS Gas assist performer on Craigslist.

Yah, I had a customer who bought a Genesis from me and we were talking about Performers and he thought the gas assist was used if you didn't want to use charcoal.

Yah, I had a customer who bought a Genesis from me and we were talking about Performers and he thought the gas assist was used if you didn't want to use charcoal.
A lot of people seem to have that idea. I don’t know how many times I’ve ever said “you just use that to light the charcoal”.

You would think someone would show him the error of his ways and he would remove the video.

Has anyone ever modified a kettle grill to run on propane for actual cooking?

It would be cool if there was a plug in burner tube so you could use the performer for either gas or charcoal.

John, Weber actually made them back in the day. I think back in the 80's. They didn't get good reviews and the shut them down. They are definitely collectable now however.

Has anyone ever modified a kettle grill to run on propane for actual cooking?

It would be cool if there was a plug in burner tube so you could use the performer for either gas or charcoal.

The add-on burner for the kettle was pretty popular in Australia.
They are fairly ease to find over there, but unfortunately will set
you back about $150 just to get one shipped to CONUS.

The add-on burner for the kettle was pretty popular in Australia.
They are fairly ease to find over there, but unfortunately will set
you back about $150 just to get one shipped to CONUS.
Rare, expensive, useless?! I'll take it!

I think the strangely overheated Performer I recently rescued was a victim of this misunderstanding. Bowl enamel was destroyed where the propane would hit, and the charbin was turned into a modern art masterpiece.

Back