Love my meat slicer

Love mine.
Cant do without it for bacon, pastrami, or smoked pork loin. Keep it on shelf in garage.....bring in when needed

Looks like some thought went into it, I like the HDPE (plastic) guard on the back, and the back/bottom where the slices come out.

I would love to upgrade to something like that. But until my 25 year old SS rival dies I'll have to keep that.

If any of you know of a tool or nifty trick for safely holding the blade after removal can you share? These slicers are slingers and food particles adhere to the ring guard; it's impossible (at least for me) to clean that ring without removing the blade. The blade is sharp and heavy and could cause severe damage if it were to slip. I wish my blade would allow for use of this tool but it doesn't.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-psl312brt-blade-removal-tool-for-sl312/177PSL312BRT.html

Last edited:
If any of you know of a tool or nifty trick for safely holding the blade during removal can you share? These slicers are slingers and food particles adhere to the ring guard; it's impossible (at least for me) to clean that ring without removing the blade. The blade is sharp and heavy and could cause severe damage if it were to slip. I wish my blade would allow for use of this tool but it doesn't.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-psl312brt-blade-removal-tool-for-sl312/177PSL312BRT.html

Not sure why you feel need to remove blade
My ring guard comes off...single bolt , comes out rear of slicer w/large hand nut. Most are like this. Wash in sink.

If need to get behind blade, they make a sponge on bent stick for that. I just drag sanitizing wipes thru though . Anti bacterial wipes are a must for cleaning slicer..

Last edited:
Not sure why you feel need to remove blade. My ring guard comes off...single bolt , comes out rear of slicer w/large hand nut. Most are like this.

Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the blade cover; I'm referring to the ring that protects users from the blade edge. I'm not familiar with the sponge on a stick but I'll check it out.

Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the blade cover; I'm referring to the ring that protects users from the blade edge. I'm not familiar with the sponge on a stick but I'll check it out.

On mine, ring is part of blade cover....like so.
Cleaning is simple. Remove sharpener and blade cover and you've got full access to a big blade

ZoK3jv3s_o.jpg

Last edited:
This is interesting actually.
all heavy duty slicers seem to have a design like mine where the ring is attached to the cover so it can easily be removed and cleaned. it's extremely simple and makes perfect sense.

light-duty slicers or cheap ones seem to have a ring that's fixed in another manner and you have to remove the blade to clean. and it's not just the cheap no brand Chinese ones there are good manufacturers that their economy models are the same way and they would know better. (Berkel, Univex)

I'm guessing it has something to do with safety standards for household use vs institutional. Or fear of litigation. Joe Dumbass can't be relied upon to expose his blade while on a machine that can be powered, and needs a blade removal tool to safely remove it, to clean behind it. Volrath has a good video , their blade twist-locks into place and is easily removed using their removal tool. I'm guessing cheap knockoff Chinese manufacturers didn't provide for easy safe blade removal when copying. A removal tool like the
Volrath should be required to come with a slicers that needs it.

This seems to be a conscious design difference. Maybe a tradeoff between risk of injury, and the # of persons who could be sickened by improper cleaning.

It would suck to remove blade with screwdriver and cut resistant gloves each time to clean. But seems that is what a lot of the light slicers require, particularly chinese ones. (Quick google of slicer cleaning gripes). On some the back of the blade is exposed , the ring is very small and maybe that it can be cleaned ok just by wiping around with a sponge that goes into the crevice. Seems to me this is probably an area where the Chinese knock-offs failed to give much consideration.

Last edited:
The Torrey( now pro kut) kds -10 is the cheapest I found with commercial qualities.....blade ring removes with cover, and 9.5" carriage movement, 1/3 hp. 45 degree table angle. Its mexican made. Or was when badged torrey..RB-....rarely seen outside texas....can be had for about $550 shipped on ebay

But a used good one is always the best deal. Less than a new chinese one, long enough carriage movement to slice bacon. Dirt cheap at restaurant supply auctions. Many used on ebay are sold by persons that bought them at auction for $50

Last edited:
You're right; yours is designed differently.

]

Mine. Globe gc-10, medium duty made in 2011 ish. Between the lightwt c series and heavy duty models. Not produced anymore.

Italian made beast. Slices bacon, blade hasnt slowed on anything ive thrown at it. $200 to my door off ebay

0iP0LlUD_o.jpg

Last edited:
Several ones i found with attached ring guard say to work a soapy rag around between blade and guard

Not really a lot of consistency in design even among the same manufacturer. I got a feeling that new designs are being made, driven by safety regulations, such that there's always a ring in place around the blade... I. E. You have to remove the blade because you can't remove that ring. some manufacturers have designed their blades to be easily and safely removable without tools because of this. (Volrath) But there are still some older designs produced that dont have that. The globe C10 for instance. On some slicers the cover removes and just leaves a ring around the edge , which you can still easily clean that Gap between the blade and the ring.

Last edited:
After seeing Chris' slicer in action, I knew I had to have one. A little pricey but this thing is legit. Gave it a test run on a picnic I turned into a ham for easter. It's awesome!

Attachments

• 20200412_141836.jpg
    20200412_141836.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200412_141815.jpg
    20200412_141815.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 18

Back