Lots to be thankful for (Smoked Turkey)

Dave_H_TX

I have lots to be thankful for this year... My son joined our family in September! While this meant a short break from the BBQ tradition on Saturdays, I am very happy that I could cook him his first Thanksgiving turkey! This is the first turkey that I have ever cooked period.

Started on Saturday with purchasing a 11lb Butterball turkey (frozen rock solid). Placed it in water in the fridge overnight to begin the thawing process.

On Sunday, made a quick brine that is just about the same as what I use for my smoked chickens.

• 2 gallons of water
  • 2 Miller Lights (beer)
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Kosher salt
  • Brown sugar
  • Honey
  • Cracked black pepper
  • BBQ rub
  • Fresh thyme

I boiled 1 gallon of water and added all of the stuff in. Returned the mixture to a boil, then removed from the heat and let cool. Once cooled, added turkey, plus brine and an additional gallon of water into a big old pot. Back into the fridge for an additional day.

np5Lg0wl.jpg

Today (Monday) I fired up the smoker with the HeaterMeter around 9AM and brought it up to 230*F. Used pecan and apple wood for the smoke.

ZLk40r5l.jpg

Stuffed the bird with following: (I never eat the stuffing)

• Apple
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Black Pepper
  • Rosemary
  • Olive Oil

Dusted the bird with Savory Spice Shop's Memphis BBQ Rub

CoFVi4Hl.jpg

9.5 Hours later looks burnt but really is not (190* breast and 170* dark meat)

innicUtl.jpg

Carved it all up and made two fantastic plates of meat. It tasted simply amazing! Both the white and dark meat were juicy and moist. The smoke flavor was perfect. Paired it with Goose Island's Festivity Ale/Wild Turkey 101 and Coke.

lYID9wUl.jpg

From my family to yours... Have a great Thanksgiving!

Great looking turkey. I stuff ours too with regular stuffing. I make extra in loaf pans for those who prefer not to have stuffing from bird. My family's been doing this for three generations and never a problem. Just use caution in preparation and pay attention to temps of turkey and stuffing! I cook it on the kettle, not the smoker. Great job, Dave!

Last edited:
That is one delicious looking turkey and great job on the smoking. Happy T day to you and family.

That is a good lookin' first turkey, Dave. My first turkey was not picture worthy; fortunately, none were taken!

Back