Looks like I overtightened my handle nut. Chipped paint :X

D Estropelic

I was pretty bummed to see the red paint chipping from my kettle. Luckily, Weber is sending me a new lid. I was talking to someone on another forum and he told me that's a common problem with overtightening the lid handle and he's heard of other folks using fabric washers to relieve the tension on the ceramic coating. Has anyone else tried this trick and if so, what size should I get? Do I put fabric washers on both sides? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I have a torque wrench in my garage. Is there a suggested amount of torque to put on the nut? I don't want my other lid to chip. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4809.jpg
    IMG_4809.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Something like this type of Fiber washer.
For tightening I would go 1/4 turn past hand tight and only use the fiber washers up top.
Does it have lockwashers on the inside?
Edit: never mind it's a lock nut like on my performer.

Didn't Weber used to include a plastic wrench which would slip when too much torque was applied?
That's what I had on my new performer.
It looked like an oversized key with a plastic nut driver on the end.

I bought an ivory Smoky Joe in Germany (before you could buy them here). I got it back to the US in my luggage with no problem, but did the same thing to my lid when I assembled it after getting back home :( .

Amazing, you admit that you are liable, yet you still ask Weber to replace something you did.
I used the tool they provided and it happened. I'd like to side on the fact that mistakes happen and I'm thankful for Weber CS. Thanks for your humble opinion. 👍

Something like this type of Fiber washer.
For tightening I would go 1/4 turn past hand tight and only use the fiber washers up top.
Does it have lockwashers on the inside?
Edit: never mind it's a lock nut like on my performer.
I'll pick up some of these for the new lid. Already have touch up paint on order and I'm going to use the hell out of the old lid while I still have it. What's interesting is I tightened the nut and not that the chips are exposed, the taco handle is loose. Might be a good time to play with my torque wrench and dial it in the the other lid. If only Weber would have soldered these handles to boot. It seems like a lot of pressure on two little nuts.

On my personal grills I actually just hand tighten those nuts on the lid handle. Every now and then I have to re-tighten, but I'd rather do that than have it chip.

On my personal grills I actually just hand tighten those nuts on the lid handle. Every now and then I have to re-tighten, but I'd rather do that than have it chip.
That's another good idea. I would think having any play in the handle area would cause chipping but maybe I'll give that option a try as well. Thanks for the input folks.

I would have thought it would be more cost effective to include fibre washers in the mounting hardware than send a customer a new lid or bowl. Even though it wasn't Weber's fault. Metal to porcelain is not a good combo.

Back