Looking for New Gas Grill

Talked to my gas guy, don't need NG :eek: . Just get an LP and he's got a kit to tap into my gas line.

Found this kinda local ~ 3 hours away.
Diggin' the blue...

Limited Edition Weber Genesis II Gas Grill - $700

(obviously, will offer less)
Jeromie,

I would steer you away from a three burner front control without a sear burner.

I bought a used E310 one as a housewarming gift for friends. It is nearly identical to the one you listed but a couple of years older.

I cooked on it a few times and it did OK, but did not have the power to really sear a steak properly.

I have the same exact year grill as the E310, but an E330 with the sear burner and it is night and day difference for high temp cooks.

I'm not exactly sure where in NC you are, but this one is an example. Its a 2011 to 2016 S330

1720590842959.png

This one is a little newer, for $700

1720590800570.png

Yes, yes, we are fueled with an LP tank. You know the old saying.... to assume it to, well you know.
It was my bad, sorry. Good thing I made the call.
One thing you did not make clear at all. As then I would have wondered why you were wanting a NG unit. Yes the nice thing is if you have regulated LP being fed to the house simply bypass the regulator on the grill, and hook up directly. Then you're livin large

If that is dirt and not rust on the floor in the cabinet, it looks like a reall good deal. Of course, they don't provide a photo of the inside of the cook box.

If that is dirt and not rust on the floor in the cabinet, it looks like a reall good deal. Of course, they don't provide a photo of the inside of the cook box.
maybe not so good after all. The rust on the legs at the hinge mounts is a weak spot for the closed cabinet 300 series.

1720643935231.png

Agree with the above.

330 front control with sear burner is the way to go. Used mid 2010s (like the one above) is what I’d look for.

Then get a griddle/flat top insert for the sear burner side.

You welcome from Mr. Malliard

Jeromie, I concur with the recommendation for a sear burner if you choose a grill with front controls (N/S burners). When Weber switched from side controls (E/W burners) to front controls on the Genesis models, they shot themselves in both feet, because they increased the surface area of the grill and shortened the burner tubes. Thus, the heat flux (BTU's per unit area) at the grilling surface was reduced by ~ 30%. Weber's solution was to add an extra burner (sear station) to address the issue.

If size or footprint is a concern, you might consider Genesis models prior to 2006. Also, the Genesis II series have large 8" wheels at one end; will you need to move it over a gravel driveway or lawn? Those 8" wheels make a difference and are a benefit of the Genesis II. If not, then I would lean towards the 2016 & earlier models, as those have better frames (inspect bottom shelf for rust/corrosion) and better quality stainless steel.

I bought a Genesis II in June, and will be returning it to HD (in the box) due to poor QC and a dented lid. I can't justify $700 (sale) for a grill which is essentially manufactured in China, then 'assembled' in the U.S. I found a 2005 Platinum C instead. IMO, avoid the 2023+ models altogether.

Last edited:
I agree with what you wrote that the front control 300 series are larger, but I'm curious how you are calculating 30% less BTUs per area.

TLDR version:

I did a quick 'back of the napkin' engineering analysis using the flavorizer bar lengths: E/W (22.5") vs. N/S (17.5"). I deducted 2.5" to account for the portion which is not directly over the burner plume and assumed the same size box (3 burners): so 20" vs 15" = E/W has ~ 33% more burner length. Now consider the grill area is also smaller on the older E/W Genesis. Yep, more heat into less area... no sear station needed on 3 burner E/W grills.

The BTU rating is merely the max -input- fuel rating per hour, with all valves at full flow. It does not represent burner output efficiency, density (heat flux), nor include heat retention of the bars, box, lid, etc. Big difference. It's also how some companies play games with their consumer marketing.

For kicks, I visited a few manufacturer websites: Napoleon and Charbroil go into some detail on their websites, while Weber is oddly 'nebulous'...

Weber BTUs The final two sentences in that link/article are ironic... considering they had to reintroduce sear burners on the 2019+ Genesis II series. Moreover, Weber's BTU rating of their sear burner just happens to be 30%-33% of the combined total of the 3 main burners. There's that 30% again.

Long version:

If anyone wants the longer version, message me and I'll try to followup within a reasonable time.

Well I cooked back to back on one of the early front control Genesis 3 burner no sear burner then next day on older sidewinder. Night and day difference in performance. The front control was very weak compare to the sidewinder. I honestly could not believe how poorly the new one performed in comparison.

Well I cooked back to back on one of the early front control Genesis 3 burner no sear burner then next day on older sidewinder. Night and day difference in performance. The front control was very weak compare to the sidewinder. I honestly could not believe how poorly the new one performed in comparison.

That is certainly the best field test between E/W versus N/S, because everything else (box, grill area, lid) should be the same on those two.

I've posted parts of this before:

below are the grills that I own ( Genesis 1000, Silver B, E330 ) or often cook on ( E320, E310 )

BTU rating is from the tag on each grill.
Grate square inches is from literature on sales sites and is only the main cooking grate.

1998 1000 (side)2000 Silver B (side)2009 E320 (side)2016 E310 (front)2016 E330 (front)
square inch424424507507507
BTU3500036000420003800048000
BTU/sqInch82.584.982.875.094.7

For the E330, the 94.7 number is misleading because it spreads 10K BTU from the sear burner across all square inches.
In terms of direct heat under the grate, the right side grate is 75.0 BTU/SqIn and the left side is 114 BTU/SqIn

Front control E310 has
12% less BTU per square inch compared to a Silver B
10% less BTU per square inch compared to a Genesis x000 or an E300 series side control.

Overall front control E330 has
11% more BTU per square inch compared to a Silver B
13% more BTU per square inch compared to a Genesis x000 or an E300 series side control. ( overall )
Obviously with the sear burner more heat is on the side with the sear. On the E330 sear is 10K BTU.
2017 and newer have higher BTU sear burners, but I don't recall the details.

Last edited:
When I did that I had no clue about the numbers. I'd just done one afternoon I put together a brand new Genesis for my sister because my brother in law was out of town, and she asked me to cook up some burgers. Ended up eating them nearly raw because it cooked so badly.
Very next day, was back at home and cooked on my old Genesis 2 I had at the time. Night and day difference in performance. Both grills were nat gas BTW so there was no fuel difference. And actually if anything her grill had the advantage of a larger gas line as well (1/2" vs my 3/8") so can't even put the gas line out as an issue.
And IDK one can do all the "equations" and calculations they like. But proof in the pudding (or the grilling). Now, this was the first version of the front control Weber Genesis. IDK if it's been improved. I would certainly hope it has been, Because even running it flat out, it could barely cook a few burgers

Well, there you go. 10% less power. Plus, you have three SHORT burners vs. three LONG ones. This CPA knows nothing about btus, etc. but common sense suggests that you are getting more flame and more even coverage. DanHoo's numbers show more power in total and per square inch. Larry's at home trial seems to confirm these observations.

I see some great deals on 3-burner front control Genesis 300 series and Genesis II grills, but I don't look twice. I need another grill like a hole in the head, but if a crimson open cart Genesis II with the sear burner ever popped up, well...

Crimson Weber Genesis II.jpg

Back