Looking for new ( BLACK ) high heat roll on

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all...........I have been using Rustoleum High Heat satin 1 qt roll on from Home Depot. I have used it on many resto's with mixed results. I love it for its blemish hiding abilities that the spray can doesnt have. So far it looks great and holds up well......HOWEVER!!!! For some reason my results vary on how brown-ish this stuff dries. It pretty much ruined my last resto because it was a black hood and the brown-ish end caps stood out big time against the rich black hood. Oddly enough sometimes a get a decent black color from it but I dont even know why. Maybe its a temperature or humidity thing but I no longer want to risk a lot of good prep work on this brown ish stuff.
Is there another good roll on black grill paint out there that has been proven? I prefer satin or gloss......
I might have to go back to the ole spray can. I have a theory....recently I ran out of High Heat Ultra so I sprayed a test hood with poor prep with regular High Heat....or flat. I was really amazed how it covered all of the grease and chips all in flat...not blotchy like the " Ultra " does. I am thinking maybe I could do first coat flat followed by second coat Ultra to hide the blotchy defects. Ya ya ya ....I know.....I can strip all of the paint off.......no thanks.......I dont mind a good prep.....but stripping all of the paint off is a pain.

How about sticking with the High Heat Satin roll on but finish it off with a final coat of the High Heat Ultra spray paint. You get the texture and you get the nice black satin sheen.

We kinda mentioned this before.........Is anyone doing this currently? Does it work? Does it hold up? I dont know if the spray and the roll on are the same formula. I guess there is only one way to find out. I did contact Rustoleum about the brown ish issue and they were not much help. They did change their label though on the roll on can regarding 2nd coats......apparently they have had some peeling issues w coat build ups......
I am mid rest now.....so I will be the guinea pig and do the roll n spray on this one. I think the way to do it would be to roll and let cure for minimum 2 days then do a heat run.......after heat run hit it with spray to darken. Unfortunately the spray will have to be done while the grill is put back together.

Bruce you get yours sandblasted right? Are u using just Ultra on the bare metal? How many coats does it take to cover well?
Thanks....
and good night!

Yes, it takes at least two coats and I go three coats. The stuff dries very quick and you can spray the three coats in probably 10 minutes.

I have a can of high heat rust-o arriving next week and I'll be trying it to add texture back to the trashed silver B I got for free.

This will be a learning experiment for the one I'm keeping. It may be a couple of weeks until I get to this.

Dan if you are talking about the 1qt can of satin I can give u tips and tricks for that because I have used it many many times. As for texture and cover up it works great. The only issue is when it dries brown :( .....The last grill I dropped off was actually a customers grill that I resto'd for him. I gave him the deal of all deals on my work.....but I swear he got a lil quiet when I unloaded from the truck vs loud and happy.........maybe I was imagining things......but in my mind he was thinking ......oh great now my end caps are brown!
The crazy thing that I cannot figure out is that I did the exact same model grill a few weeks prior to this one and I used the same can of paint........it turned out black with just a slight hint of brown. At this point I think if its colder out it dries black.....if its hot out it dries brown.
It also might have someting to do with the nap of my rollers letting air bubbles into the paint........but I tried foam and the same thing happened :( ....

I was thinking about it today and thought maybe because I am prepping w brake cleaner......maybe that has an effect on the color outcome.......Im going to skip the brake cleaner on this next round and see if it makes a difference. Brown end caps look awful on a black hood :(

Well Rustoleum screwed up another one of my resto's :( I should be careful talking like that but if I am doing something wrong I cant figure out what it is. I called Rustoleum and they were no help so here we are. I went to the trouble to strip the end caps on my current project and due to the light scratching from stripping I wanted to use the roll on for its masking abilities. I knew right away I was screwed again......yep....brown! See pics. I even tried a few tricks on this grill. I sprayed the cook box flat black with High Heat spray.........then I tried to spray Ultra over the flat but it didnt work.....for some reason the flat dominated the gloss. So then I rolled the Rusto roll on over the flat high heat spray.....I assume the two paints will play nice together. Of course the cook box is now brown. Then I painted the end caps.....roll on bare metal....turned out brown......but here is the question.....I want to try to top coat this brown crap with High Heat Ultra.....but when should I do it?????? after 24 hours? After a burn in? When? I sure hope the black gloss will darken this brownie. :( I need a roll on solution sooooooooooooon.20210615_220443.jpg20210615_220344.jpg

Hmmmmmm. My black roll on and ultra just arrived from ama zon. I wonder what they'll look like.

Attachments

• 20210615_214537.jpg
    20210615_214537.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 16238187943021799196311441421850.jpg
    16238187943021799196311441421850.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 16238188403932515786729592421475.jpg
    16238188403932515786729592421475.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 3
Well.......I have used it on probably 15 grills maybe more. This last batch is the worst by far then before. The really odd thing is that I have had a few grills turn out ok.......but when its a black grill it looks awful :(
So there is a possibility that u might get a good batch but If u really care about what its going to look like u might want to paint some metal scrap first. I just did a red grill and it looks 80 percent.....like not nearly as noticeable......I will add a pic of the red grill........20210615_200937.jpg

On this red grill that is two coats on the end caps that were stripped to bare metal. To me it looks great....but as u can see in my pics at my shop...when u put it up against a good rich black u can really see how brown it is. :(

Lastly.............I think I am on to them. I think they just changed the formula...........I know they changed the label because it used to read re coat in 24 hours. Now it says 2 coats not recommended.

There is the back label.

2018 Copyright

Attachments

• 16238194116906139929885211824952.jpg
    16238194116906139929885211824952.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 5
You might be lucky.....thats the old label......let me see if I have a pic of the new label

Brush Goods: Mix thoroughly to ensure any settled pigment is re-dispersed. Thin material only if necessary with mineral spirits. For brush or roller application, thin no more than 5%. Do not thin with gasoline, lacquer thinner, turpentine, etc. Apply with a good quality brush, nap roller, or conventional spray gun. A second coat is not recommended. DRY & RECOAT TIMES Sprays: Dries to touch in 30 minutes and to handle in 1-2 hours. Allow paint to dry for 1 hour before heating. In order to achieve full cure, the coating must be heat cured at 450ºF for one hour. Product may emit smoke and harmless odor. Brush Goods: Dry and recoat times are based on 70ºF and 50% relative humidity. Allow more time at cooler temperatures. Dries to touch in 2-4 hours, to handle in 5-9 hours, and is fully dry in 24 hours. Allow paint to dry 24 hours before heating. When using the subject surface for the first time, open windows and provide ventilation as the new paint finish may emit smoke.

This is their tech sheet...but this is what the new cans say......second coat not recommended. I asked them about this and they said they has some issues with coat build up peeling.

I wonder what results you would get with Roll On Stove Brite Black Satin. In my previous post of the Thread talking about what do you use there are pics of someone using that. It is not gloss but a satin though.

Back