What High Heat Paint do you use on Your Firebox?

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
My Home Depot has High Heat Ultra Semi Gloss in a Can which is the color I wanted to use in black.
They have High Heat Satin in a Quart, that rolls on, but I thought this color might be to dull.
Is there High Heat black Glossy paint that rolls on that you all might recommend and where did you find it.
If you have pics of results that would be helpful.

ultra-black-rust-oleum-specialty-high-heat-paint-241169-c3_1000.jpgblack-rust-oleum-specialty-protective-enamel-7778502-64_1000 (1).jpg

Last edited:
A lot of people recommend Stove Bright, either satin or flat black.

Also I would recommend spray, just for ease.

A lot of people recommend Stove Bright, either satin or flat black.

Also I would recommend spray, just for ease.
Have any pics, although I was looking for a gloss black. I have seen many a post with black paint but I have not noticed anyone posting which one they used. Thus the reason for the thread.

Last edited:
Samuel,
I switch it up every couple grills.

Sometimes it's Rustoluem High Heat Ultra
Sometimes I use Krylon High Heat or High Heat Max
Sometimes it's Stove Brite Satin.

Of those mentioned Rustoleum High Heat Ultra is the glossiest, Stove Brite Satin the flattest.

Jeff

Samuel,
I switch it up every couple grills.

Sometimes it's Rustoluem High Heat Ultra
Sometimes I use Krylon High Heat or High Heat Max
Sometimes it's Stove Brite Satin.

Of those mentioned Rustoleum High Heat Ultra is the glossiest, Stove Brite Satin the flattest.

Jeff
Jeff
Is it possible to get Rustoleum High Heat Ultra in a quart can. If not have you had any issue with it running when you spray it on. That was my concern. I did buy it with a can along with comfort spray grip accessory.

On my Platinum.
Stove Brite on the Box, High Heat Ultra on the end caps-

wAUSnuE.jpg

Jeff

Did my Ron Burgundy in High Heat Ultra for both the box as well as the end caps.
Very glossy as evident by the refection of the knobs and control panel.

20200909_175335.jpg

Jeff

Jeff
Is it possible to get Rustoleum High Heat Ultra in a quart can. If not have you had any issue with it running when you spray it on. That was my concern. I did buy it with a can along with comfort spray grip accessory.

Never used the quart, only the spray can. No issues running, did not use the comfort grip add on.

Off topic, but how did you get that Durawood to look so good or is that Durawood?

This is actually painted wood, Weber used that on certain models before going to Dura Wood. Both my Skyline as well as my 5000 used painted wood.

Jeff

@Jeff MA, I think your right the Satin finish on the firebox with the Ultra Semi Gloss on the endcaps is an excellent look and contrast. I seem to like that the best.

Samuel,
Yes, the Satin on the Fire Box and the High Heat Ultra on the End Caps are a good combo.

I don't think Rustoleum offers the Ultra in a 1 quart can. The regular High heat is offered but that is much too gray for my liking.

The only paint I had issues with is the Krylon High Heat. I used it on my Junior Cook Box and it's flaking off. The Box was lightly sanded and prepped like all my other restores. Who knows, maybe I got a bad batch of paint.
I will redo it with Stove Brite over the Winter months.

Jeff

@Jeff MA and @DanJC thank you for all for your input. I have enjoyed all you all's input. I am very impressed with members on this forum and appreciate all you all's generosity of information. I am so very happy that I became a member.

Also I hope addressing you all with the @ symbol is ok and using the proper forum etiquette , I just wanted to make sure you all got this message.

Last edited:
I think, but can't prove, that the earliest Genesis grills had a more "flat" finish on the firebox. As time went on it seems the newer ones are more like "satin" and not as different on shade or sheen from the end caps. I did my Skyline with semi-gloss black on both (I believe Krylon High Heat Max). I was doing a custom look, so I didn't care that it was not "stock." Even so, I would normally use a satin black (like on Jeff's Skyline) for the firebox rather than flat, just because I like it😊.

I have a Jr. begging for my attention once my shop is functional. This may be the first grill that I use a true flat black on the firebox since I will be trying hard to be "authentic" in my restore.

I think, but can't prove, that the earliest Genesis grills had a more "flat" finish on the firebox.

Jon.
This is a picture of my 1988 Junior model. This was before I took it apart and repainted the box. If you look at the Cook Box which was never painted it was definitely not of the flat variety, but more like the new 13 bar box I pictured above.

GUY8mnk.jpg

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! That's pretty interesting having an original finish to use as a target to aim for. Maybe I will stick with a satin black.:unsure:

Back