Looking for foiling tips

Russ Harris

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello. I am thinking about trying some foiled ribs. I've done ribs on my WSM many times but never tried foiling them so I'm looking to experiment. My question is what to put in the foil along with the ribs. I know the most common thing to use is a little apple juice which I plan to do. But what about any other items. Is there anything else I should add or just stick with the juice?

At the 2.5 to 3 hr mark I put parkay, tiger sauce, agave nectar, and brown sugar (ala Trigger) on both sides of the ribs and double wrap them in heavy duty alum foil. I leave them wrapped for ~ 1.5 hrs, then unwrap and put em back on for another 1.5-ish hrs.

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Parkay?...not butter? Any particular reason why?

I'm pretty sure it's because triggs theory is that butter burns easier than margarine and you'll still get a butter ish flavor....it must work , cuz the mans got a lot of bbq trophies.:cool:

I use apple juice mixed with a TBS of rub, I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve, I feel adding honey and brown sugar makes it too sweet but thats just me.

I use apple juice mixed with a TBS of rub, I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve, I feel adding honey and brown sugar makes it too sweet but thats just me.

I agree - I'm not going for a sweet taste. Not really a big fan of sweet. I like more of a solid smoky barbecue type of flavor. I think I'll skip the honey and the brown sugar.

Even Trigg says they are too sweet and he doesn't like them, but that is what the judges are looking for.

The milk fats in butter will burn causing a bitter taste. At least that was what I was told.

Just my opinion, but I didn't like the taste that the darker Agave added to the ribs. I changed over to the light Agave and it was much better. The dark tasted to me like a margarita almost.

I goofed around with a mix of blue bottle margarine, light agave, Tiger sauce (easy does it), Orange Blossom honey, and a spritz of either apple or white grape. If you're feeling really froggy, very lightly sprinkle just a half teaspoon of chipotle across top. Had pretty good luck with it. Adjust the amounts as you like.

Russ

- Squeeze margarine, honey and brown sugar.
- Apple cider.
- Apple cider and cream sherry.
- Apple cider, squeeze margarine and white wine vinegar

Back