Looking for advice on rehabbing a Redhead

B.C. Deck

I picked up this grill that appears intact as far as burners and such, but is missing some cosmetic pieces. On the left side, the back decorative cap is missing,as is the rod for extending the fold-up shelf. On the right side, the decorative caps on front and back, and perhaps a piece along the side, appear to be missing.

I actually have three wooden shelves, so I might actually have an extra. I would like to figure out a way to track down various bits to finish off both sides and also give myself the fold up shelf. I haven’t been able to find anything on the various Grill parts sites. Anybody have any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 36
Make a list of what you need and we can either tell you where to get it or someone might have extras. Those caps that go in the ends of tubes for example, you can still buy those new but they are about $12 apiece at ereplacementparts.com. you can get a whole bag of basically the same things on Amazon for less than that.

For sure contact @Jon Tofte
He will probably have all the parts you are looking for and is willing to sell them.
He might even be able to help you out with a better control panel. Yours has a bad case of the Weber Fade.

Also, when you get ready to start your rehab on the grill, check out this thread for some great "How To" articles.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do to answer responses, so here goes...

So, about the control panel. The panel on the grill when I bought it blew off on the way home -- I didn't realize it would come off so easy. It was about an hour drive, so it was far too big an area to go back and look for it, unfortunately (first rookie mistake).

That control panel in my photos is one I actually picked up used off eBay prior to finding this site. Considering the fade, that's probably my second rookie mistake. I just temporarily put those plugs in while making sure the replacement would fit, and I would not be at all surprised to learn that I did it wrong.

One other note -- my grill has three tool holders on the control panel side that stayed in place even after the panel blew off. There are two more on the work table side, and the replacement control panel I bought came with three more. I really don’t see myself needing more than three, so I have five extra. I suppose they might not be incredibly valuable, but would definitely be willing to make them part of a trade for any of the parts I’m trying to find in the list below.

I also have a rotisserie spit, motor and bracket on the firebox, and I have tested the motor to verify that it does work.

Also, my grill apparently has wood slat panels for the tool storage area beneath the firebox. There is no metal rack down there. I initially thought I had multiple side table panels, but I was wrong. I've added some more photos showing my various wooden panels, and in one of the photos I am pointing at a spot where someone added a small block of wood to shore up the rusty metal side bracket.

And one other thing I noticed: on the left side, there is a thin metal flange attached to the top frame rail that runs front to back right beside the firebox. It looks like something would be attached to it, but the wooden slats of the work table that bump up against it don't look like they go with it. I am not sure what that flange is for. I have added a photo of it.

As for parts: The frame itself, firebox and burner components all look pretty solid, although I need to remove the firebox and clean/repaint the frame. Here is a list of what I think I need:

Parts I have been able to find online and with previous posters' help, but have not yet ordered:
-- Warm-up basket (the one that hangs in the lid; I have the one that sits at the back just above the cooking grates)
-- Catch pan holder
-- Catch pan
-- Drip pan and liners
-- 3 tubing plugs
-- eight short flavorizer bars (I have the long ones) Edit: I would be willing to buy a set of 13 though.

Parts I have not been able to find:

-- Replacement metal brackets that hold the slats of the work table together. (My wood slats are solid, but the metal side rails are too rusted to save. Realistically, I could make some brackets pretty easily from angle bar stock if replacements are not readily available.)

-- Replacement metal brackets that hold the slats of the wood panels for the tool storage area together. (Again, mine are too rusty to save, and I could fabricate replacements fairly easily if they are not something that is readily available.)

-- Support rod for swing table

-- Swing table assembly

The swing table is more of a want than an absolute need, but it is one of my favorite accessories for the grill.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2546.jpeg
    IMG_2546.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2549.jpeg
    IMG_2549.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Replacement metal brackets that hold the slats of the wood panels for the tool storage area together.
Your grill is only supposed to have three tool holders on the right side of the grill under the control panel. The swing up table would not work with the extra ones on the left side.

Is it Just me, or is the bottom of his z bars a bit more meaty? Does anyone know if he makes the SS Z bars for the bottoms of the 2/2000?
He makes them all the same, it's just a matter of how long you want them to be. I'm pretty sure they are the same dimensions as the original ones but I do know for sure the mounting holes are in different spots so if you're hoping to reuse old slats you still have to redrill and re-space them.

If you want to order from RCPlanebuyer (Dave Santana), use this link. It will bring up his Craigslist ads. Just pick one of his adds for flavorizer bars and use it to contact him through CL email. Tell him what you are looking for and he will give you a price to include shipping. It is much cheaper for him and you this way since there are no EBay fees to pay.

If you want to order from RCPlanebuyer (Dave Santana), use this link. It will bring up his Craigslist ads. Just pick one of his adds for flavorizer bars and use it to contact him through CL email. Tell him what you are looking for and he will give you a price to include shipping. It is much cheaper for him and you this way since there are no EBay fees to pay.

Just for a frame of reference. Back before I knew about his Craigslist ad before I was a part of this forum. I ordered a set of 13 bar flavor bars from him on eBay. Total all-in after tax and shipping was $117. Shortly after I ordered the exact same set from him through Craigslist and the all in price was $85. That's the kind of savings you will get contacting him through Craigslist versus just grabbing what he has listed on eBay. So yes it is more convenient to just order what's listed on eBay but the savings you will get by contacting him through Craigslist is well worth it.

I don’t think the finances are going to allow ordering his stuff just yet, but I for sure want some of his stuff for my forever Genesis.

For custom Fab high quality 304 SS from a master Craftsman like Dave. His prices seem low to me and I'm happy to pay. Especially the prices for the z-metal and swing table brackets.

Last edited:
Just for a frame of reference. Back before I knew about his Craigslist ad before I was a part of this forum. I ordered a set of 13 bar flavor bars from him on eBay. Total all-in after tax and shipping was $117. Shortly after I ordered the exact same set from him through Craigslist and the all in price was $85. That's the kind of savings you will get contacting him through Craigslist versus just grabbing what he has listed on eBay. So yes it is more convenient to just order what's listed on eBay but the savings you will get by contacting him through Craigslist is well worth it.
Yeah, that is the "EBay Tax". I rarely try to sell anything there anymore. Too many hoops, too much cost, and they report everything to Uncle Sam who IMO has no business poking his nose into what is basically "garage sale" incomes.

Back