Looking at the 22" WSM -- couple questions

Actually the 14.5 gets used the most!
I can see that --- I find it difficult to rally a neighbor into a butt or a chicken to make it worthwhile to fire up the 18.... a 14 I wouldn't feel bad about running only one on. I'm thankful to have a kettle for doing only one chicken on - but I will still use the 18 for a lone butt if I get the hankering!

The hunt continues for a 14 WSM!

When you stop and think about it.... how hard would it be to keep a 14 WSM around compared to an 18 or 22????
You KNOW exactly what its gonna do.... it seems stupid not to have one.

I had the 22" WSM and loved it when I had a house full of children and all their friends ready for dinner on any given night. Once the nest emptied I never fired up the "Moon Lander" (that's what I called mine because it was HUGE lol) because I never needed that much food at one time and it took a whole damn bag of charcoal to run it so unless I was making a bunch of food it was a waste. If you need to do a lot of food, the 22" is definitely the answer and it'll be a workhorse for you. I sold it to a buddy of mine and got a 14.5" WSM instead and it was fantastic. Easy to run, control, and clean. Had to cut the rib racks in half, but could do a large butt and 2 full racks with ease.

Then I got the Summit Kamado (the one to rule them all) and bequeathed the 14.5 to my nephew and use my SSP as a fire pit table. lol.

@Jason Williams Just wondering what you decided to do, which size you bought or did you go another way?

I have worked my way through offsets with wood, charcoal or propane as fuel, horizontals with a rotisserie, then ugly drums, then a tricked out 18 WSM, followed by a tricked out 22 WSM, kettles and such with the number of people being fed in constant flux.

In the end, I use the Weber kettle with an SNS Slow and Sear the most, as the fuel consumption is the least, access is best, the working height is comfortable and clean-up is easy. Next I use the 18 WSM, in which I can hang.

The 22 WSM is rarely out of the garage, even though it can grill, smoke or hang. It's a once a year occurrence for maybe a large packer brisket.

If I was feeding small groups, I'd pick the Weber kettle and an 18 WSM with a round Hunsaker hanging rack and a Cajun Bandit extension section to increase head space to hang.

Back