Longevity......

I still remember Bruno going through the emotional roller coaster you're on. That was about 18 months ago. I felt for him then and I sure feel for you now. I know how good the food can taste but the frustration when it acts up is maddening. It's a tough decision and you're being pulled in both directions. Good luck.
Glad I stuck it out, I was pretty concerned when Baby Back Maniac was pouting and the press was terrible. I had some issues in the beginning, but once they started cranking out updates and sent everyone a welded auger I have had NO issues.
I did remove the finger guard for the hell of it, but I am still on my first glow plug. Maybe I got lucky?

I do remember when the welded auger came out and just like that OG mother ship kettle copy Harry Soo has, at the time he was the only one with the auger, one phone call and that was on its way.

Shame Weber didn’t wait to get that one part right before release, I feel like it would have been way better off. If Weber had waited for the welded augers and shipped a couple pans for greasy cooks and didn’t hype up the all in one grease and ash pan. They might have sold 3-5 times more Smokefire’s.

Last edited:
And that is what they should have been doing from day one........
Totally agree with you on that. First trying they blamed it on the controller, second time the blamed it on the motherboard. This time I asked for a new one of each and they'll be replaced at the same time

Glad I stuck it out, I was pretty concerned when Baby Back Maniac was pouting and the press was terrible. I had some issues in the beginning, but once they started cranking out updates and sent everyone a welded auger I have had NO issues.
I did remove the finger guard for the hell of it, but I am still on my first glow plug. Maybe I got lucky?

I do remember when the welded auger came out and just like that OG mother ship kettle copy Harry Soo has, at the time he was the only one with the auger, one phone call and that was on its way.

Shame Weber didn’t wait to get that one part right before release, I feel like it would have been way better off. If Weber had waited for the welded augers and shipped a couple pans for greasy cooks and didn’t hype up the all in one grease and ash pan. They might have sold 3-5 times more Smokefire’s.
Bruno,
I think you really summed it up very well. You have been an encouragement to a lot of SmokeFire owners - and even to this fence sitter waiting for the right opportunity to buy something. I think your perseverance has been rewarded by lots of great cooks, a number of which you have shared and which offer pretty compelling evidence that the SmokeFire CAN perform superbly. I agree with your assessment that, sadly, Weber is paying for a rushed launch and apparently inadequate testing. Had they done as you suggest you probably would be seeing a lot more of them at local retailers. As it is, I am really afraid that it has been largely marginalized. What that means for the future, I don't know. Those of us here who have enjoyed your cooks and some other members' can't say that the SmokeFire isn't a great pellet grill - at least once you have mastered its quirks and occasional - but real - issues.

I really think that BBM really overreacted. Heck, he was almost in tears over a grill. It was almost as if he was looking for something to find that was wrong, and sent it back right away, instead of at least trying it out for a while. Not saying that the release was perfect, and there were certainly legitimate problems, including some of BBM's, but the self-proclaimed Youtube "stars" made it much worse than it needed to be, when they could have helped to calm the mob a bit.

I really think that BBM really overreacted. Heck, he was almost in tears over a grill. It was almost as if he was looking for something to find that was wrong, and sent it back right away, instead of at least trying it out for a while. Not saying that the release was perfect, and there were certainly legitimate problems, including some of BBM's, but the self-proclaimed Youtube "stars" made it much worse than it needed to be, when they could have helped to calm the mob a bit.
Why do you think Harry is chilling with the OG replica and BBM is hawking Slow N Sears.😆

Well, in defense of BBM, he did state that grease fires are absolutely something that he cannot put up with. He also went on to say that the grill was clean. It was his first cook and cannot possibly be any cleaner.

But we all know a lot more now since then... using several drip pans under the food seems to be a solution to the grease fires.

Will the drip pans negatively effect the airflow? Dunno.

Well, in defense of BBM, he did state that grease fires are absolutely something that he cannot put up with. He also went on to say that the grill was clean. It was his first cook and cannot possibly be any cleaner.

But we all know a lot more now since then... using several drip pans under the food seems to be a solution to the grease fires.

Will the drip pans negatively effect the airflow? Dunno.
Yeah, but his "grease fire" was nothing more than a very small issue, no more than any grill or smoker has from time to time (at least on the video that I watched.) I get just as much on my flavorizer bars on my gasser. Close the lid, it'll go out. I personally thought that he overdid it quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a personal issue with BBM, and though he's a little goofy time to time, there has been a few of his videos that I've enjoyed. I just think that he was acting quite the drama queen when it came to the Smokefire.

The drip pans work very well, and seem to have no effect on the flavor or airflow, at least from what I can tell. Basically, the SF is the same construction as a gas grill, but with wood fuel. Meaning that it cooks direct, so one must assume that there will be a need for a drip pan when running indirect, as you would on any other grill.

I get what your saying but most people I would think do not expect grease fires when smoking at low temps. I have never had one on my WSM;-)

He lost me as a viewer when he tossed some unseasoned steaks on it like he was too good to even be bothered.

I find him whiny anyways, not like he had great ideas for cooking. Harry, Malcom, Yoder, these guys can cook.

Grease fires and flare ups are two very different things. I do not recall Justin having a grease fire, and recall the VAST MAJORITY of early reviews on Smokefire were mere flare ups, nothing more. I’m struggling to recall any grease fires actually....it seemed like lots of folks had a bone to pick about Smokefire and tried real hard to slam it for anything while talking up anything else that does basically the same things. Why that is, I’ll never know. Maybe folks wanted the charcoal kings to fail??

I barely watch him any more, just too.....I don’t know. Someone gives him something and it’s the greatest thing ever. He was heavy on Weber’s, then heavy on that carbon copy one, and now seems heavy on LSG. Which that Santa Maria looks like a beauty but....I watched for Weber content.

I would put Justin in the shill category for sure. I’m not there to watch an ad.

Grease fires and flare ups are two very different things. I do not recall Justin having a grease fire, and recall the VAST MAJORITY of early reviews on Smokefire were mere flare ups, nothing more. I’m struggling to recall any grease fires actually....it seemed like lots of folks had a bone to pick about Smokefire and tried real hard to slam it for anything while talking up anything else that does basically the same things. Why that is, I’ll never know. Maybe folks wanted the charcoal kings to fail??

I barely watch him any more, just too.....I don’t know. Someone gives him something and it’s the greatest thing ever. He was heavy on Weber’s, then heavy on that carbon copy one, and now seems heavy on LSG. Which that Santa Maria looks like a beauty but....I watched for Weber content.

I would put Justin in the shill category for sure. I’m not there to watch an ad.

Start at the 29 minute 48 second mark. Clearly a grease fire.

Why would you call him a shill he has alot of good videos and is good friends with Harry they have done videos together so I don't think Harry thinks he is a shill. Unlike alot of reviewers he buys his own stuff including the SmokeFire maybe not all the time but generally. If you watch the video and I beleive he was early on to do a slow cook he states the food came out good but he had a grease fire you can call it a flare up or whatever but its on the video. He was not wrong about the pellet feed either remember Weber made a change yes he was a bit dramatic flicking the pellets at the end but I think he was just pissed and maybe for a good reason.

I think for him and he states it in the video those influencers were led to believe that the grease system required no grease pans which of course turned out to be not true, they were also told pallets of pellets were run thru them so all good which that was also not true and they made a change actually Lew might have had the best idea with the tape. My take is that he felt mislead or whatever you want to call it and he kind of says that, he has a reputation which again he states he will never puff a product up and by the way he was not the only one to do that on the SmokeFire before they actually cooked on one.

What I think he could have done IMO is nothing wrong with the video is to contact Weber get some assistance maybe some suggestions then cooked on it again see if that fixed things. I am quessing he did not do that his wife had suggestedd he keep it and test more but it probably went back to Lowes.

That was back in 2020 so don't shoot the messenger at that time Bruno, Lew and guessing Tim rode it out and are happy and I am sure others are also.

I had a grease fire in my Rec Tec soon after I got it. User error. The entire interior of the grill was on fire. That video also shows a grease fire that I have never been able to reproduce on my EX6 and I've tried. I can burn off built up grease by cranking it up to 600 and watch it billow copious amounts of smoke and there's a fair amount of flame inside. His reaction was emotional and what is there to get emotional about doing a product review. In his defense I feel that Weber mislead everyone about how to operate the Smokefire. Weber made everyone believe that they were buying a well behaved Thoroughbred and instead we got a half broke Mustang that likes to buck. I guess you can get emotional when mislead.

You must be new at grilling....again, this is nothing relegated to Smokefire. My gas and charcoal grills all do this. But neither have EVER been blasted for it.

That’s about the least of ones worries when cooking.

Why would you call him a shill he has alot of good videos and is good friends with Harry they have done videos together so I don't think Harry thinks he is a shill. Unlike alot of reviewers he buys his own stuff including the SmokeFire maybe not all the time but generally. If you watch the video and I beleive he was early on to do a slow cook he states the food came out good but he had a grease fire you can call it a flare up or whatever but its on the video. He was not wrong about the pellet feed either remember Weber made a change yes he was a bit dramatic flicking the pellets at the end but I think he was just pissed and maybe for a good reason.

I think for him and he states it in the video those influencers were led to believe that the grease system required no grease pans which of course turned out to be not true, they were also told pallets of pellets were run thru them so all good which that was also not true and they made a change actually Lew might have had the best idea with the tape. My take is that he felt mislead or whatever you want to call it and he kind of says that, he has a reputation which again he states he will never puff a product up and by the way he was not the only one to do that on the SmokeFire before they actually cooked on one.

What I think he could have done IMO is nothing wrong with the video is to contact Weber get some assistance maybe some suggestions then cooked on it again see if that fixed things. I am quessing he did not do that his wife had suggestedd he keep it and test more but it probably went back to Lowes.

That was back in 2020 so don't shoot the messenger at that time Bruno, Lew and guessing Tim rode it out and are happy and I am sure others are also.
Have you watched any of Justin’s latest vids? Watch his stuff over the last year or two; like I said, he was heavy Weber, got sponsored by what’s his name at SNS and started pimping his kettle copycat, and now he’s gotten sponsored by Chris at LSG and guess what he’s pushing now?

He does put “paid sponsorship” but merely following the money is about as close to a shill as can be. Which is fine, he is absolutely allowed to do so but credibility and reliability tends to suffer. It is what it is. Nothing against Justin but it’s hard to take a guy overly serious when so pliable with money. That’s all.

I think that BBM felt used and tricked by Weber. I honestly don’t think Weber realized how serious the issues were or tried to deceive him, but I do think that dog and pony show video was done under very controlled circumstances. When BBM came to that conclusion, his personality is just more emotional and it came out the way it did. I think he is an honest bbq guy, though. The SmokeFire isn’t what we (and BBM) were originally led to believe, but we have seen too much great looking food here to not acknowledge that it can do an awesome job. While the use of flavorizer bars brings issues that need more work and refinement, it also allows more smoke to reach your food than on a conventional pellet grill.

The high heat searing isn’t as big a deal to me. Get a used classic Genesis for that. Add a smoker box or tube if you want to go all out. But for low and slow bbq, I think a pellet grill makes it a lot more practical than a charcoal kettle, WSM, or even a kamado type grill. I whipped up some ribs on short notice the other day. I was able to spend little time at the grill so I could keep working at my day job. My Rec Tec stayed in temperature and delivered without a hitch or any intervention on my part. Don’t get me wrong, it IS fun to cook with REAL fire when you can. A pellet grill just makes things a lot easier. It is also fun to experiment with different pellet types and brands.

You must be new at grilling....again, this is nothing relegated to Smokefire. My gas and charcoal grills all do this. But neither have EVER been blasted for it.

That’s about the least of ones worries when cooking.

I am not new to grilling.

But you did call it a "flare up." That's really the reason why I posted the video by BBM.

I think we all know what flare-ups are.

That was not the case with the baby back maniac. He had pooled grease that caught fire. It doesn't matter if pellet smokers will have grease fires on occasion. Or gas grills for that matter. Gas grills can easily have a grease fire with pooled Grease that never makes it into the drip pan.

I think we forget the context of his video in 2020. It was back when weber "ran truckloads of pellets through the system" and there were no grease fires. And there were no problems with pellets feeding down into the auger mechanism. And drip pans were not required. All of the influencers saw the Open flame and the vaporizer bars. Yet they were reassured by Weber.

So imagine grilling on it for the very first time and having a grease fire after the food is removed. Contradicting everything that weber told him.

So yeah, he was right to make the comments that he made at the time.

Weber sells a drip pan mechanism that can be installed underneath the main cooking grate. They ought to be giving them out for free to all smoke fire owners.

I did say flare up. I wasn’t referencing anything in particular, no vid or anything. I simply did not recall.....I don’t know about you, but I have far more important things to lock in my memory than a random YouTube video or 20. I watched a LOT of vids on Smokefire when it hit hands....I can’t remember all of them.

Anyways, is what it is.

Back