Long time BBQer, first time WSM owner!

WayneM

Hi everybody. I just got a 22.5" WSM. If fact, it's still in the box. I had to post here first to make it official. ;)

I've been smoking meats on my Weber kettle for years. Once upon a time I had a crappy Char-Griller with a side fire box that tree mercifully destroyed during an ice storm.

I'm so happy to have an honest-to-goodness smoker and I'm looking forward to upping my game with with a WSM.

Got it put together! Now to fire up some chicken and get it seasoned.

One bummer is it looks like I got the pre-2014 center section without the temperature probe grommet. Not sure what I think about that. . .

Wayne
I got one with the grommet. Do yourself a favor, and never think about it again. Cut the notch and start smokin'

Got it put together! Now to fire up some chicken and get it seasoned.

One bummer is it looks like I got the pre-2014 center section without the temperature probe grommet. Not sure what I think about that. . .

Welcome aboard. I remember the el cheapo side firebox daze. I got some good BBQ from it but it was an attention demanding critter.

That grommet is a pain IMO. Like ~Mark~, I recommend cutting a slot.

The real drawback in a pre 2014 is the handle-less lower cooking grate - again IMO. I installed "U" bolts to make my own but I've seen other creative solutions.

I look forward to your posts.

Welcome Wayne..you sound like me. Had a Chargriller w side smoker box. It loved to eat charcoal and wood. Sold it for $20. The WSM really snuffs out the charcoal once your done with the cook and close the vents. I then use that charcoal on my Performer for meals. I,always use fresh on the WSM. Congrats!

Back