London Broil Question

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Stupid question from a fairly-experienced BBQer:

If I cook a "London Broil" cut of meat to an internal temp of 200+ degrees, will it become tenderized like a chuck roast, or will it turn into a piece of shoe leather better suited for a door stop?

I normally cook that cut of meat to 145- 155 degrees (medium), but it doesn't have the same "tenderizing" effect that fattier cuts of meat do when cooked to 195+ degrees.

Just asking, because I don't care to experiment on meat with these prices nowadays...

Regards,

Rooster

I see a brick in your future at 200.

Go ahead and smoke it but to a max of 130-135 (and let rise to 135-140). Preferab1y 130. After a rest, slice thinly. Little fat so any more than med-rare won't be nice.

Stupid question from a fairly-experienced BBQer:

If I cook a "London Broil" cut of meat to an internal temp of 200+ degrees, will it become tenderized like a chuck roast, or will it turn into a piece of shoe leather better suited for a door stop?

I normally cook that cut of meat to 145- 155 degrees (medium), but it doesn't have the same "tenderizing" effect that fattier cuts of meat do when cooked to 195+ degrees.

Just asking, because I don't care to experiment on meat with these prices nowadays...

Regards,

Rooster

At 200, it is going to be seriously tough. What I would suggest is marinating it over night and then do a fast, very high temperature, broil. Take it off at about medium done and let it rest for a bit. Then slice and serve. This is what I do with London broil and flank steak. It does work.

At 200, it is going to be seriously tough. What I would suggest is marinating it over night and then do a fast, very high temperature, broil. Take it off at about medium done and let it rest for a bit. Then slice and serve. This is what I do with London broil and flank steak. It does work.

I actually marinate mine for 2-3 days. But I cook it exactly like you suggest ... grill it on high heat for a sear, then indirect until it gets to med-rare.

My latest marinade that I use is KC Masterpiece's Napa Garlic Balsamic.

Back