Lomo Embuchado

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Since I've got my drying chamber dialed in with the coppa hanging in there, I wanted to get another whole muscle cure project going. When we were in Spain a few years ago, I really enjoyed the Lomo (dry cured pork loin) that appeared on nearly every menu. I tracked down a good looking recipe, and then called my local butcher to have him trim out park of a loin for me with about 1/2" fat cap. I picked up a beautiful 3lb loin from him today that he trimmed out of a Kurobota piggy.

IMG_7465.jpeg

I measured out all my spices based on the weight of the loin:

Salt, 2.65%
Cure #2, .47%
Sugare, 1.3%
Paprika (smoked), .14%
Black Pepper (cracked), .14%
Garlic Powder, .03%
Onion Powder, .03%
Thyme (dried), .03%

Got the loin and cure into a FoodSaver bag, rubbed the cure in all over, then vacuumed it up. Will let this do its equilibrium cure thing for a couple of weeks, then move onto the casing, hanging and drying......Should be fun! :)

IMG_7466.jpeg

I'll post some updates along the way.

R

Watching this too. I need to find a butcher like yours!
I'm lucky to have him, Steve, but he is NOT cheap! Not saying he should be, but most of his meats are special occasion purchases for me. I wanted to try out a whole muscle cure with something other than supermarket pork, so taking a flier on this one. It's going to need to be mind blowing for me to do it with any regularity. :)

R

Can not wait to see how this goes as we too ate way too much in Spain!
Andy, I did my level best to eat all of the jamon and chorizo in the country......for some reason, my wife would not permit me to try to bring an Iberico leg home with me. Strange. :)

R

Andy, I did my level best to eat all of the jamon and chorizo in the country......for some reason, my wife would not permit me to try to bring an Iberico leg home with me. Strange. :)

R
Haha. Isn't Spain unbelievable? What I would do to go there this year!

A quick update.... I got the Lomo out of the cure today, scraped off the excess salt and spices, then trussed it up to hang in the curing chamber. When I did the coppa, I used a beef bung, and that was a bit of a squirrely experience (not to mention "fragrant"), so this time I used a collagen sheet to see how that works. It's a bit like wrapping a Christmas present, so good practice for the season. Anyway, she's hanging up in the curing chamber, and I didn't inoculate with mold this time, as there should be enough present from the coppa to get mold going on this one. I'll post some updates along the way.......

Out of the cure:

IMG_7523.JPG

Trussed and ready to hang:

IMG_7524.JPG

Back