Loin back cook dilemma

Jeffery Link

TVWBB Member
Well, on short notice a friend wants me to cook some loin backs, he's picking up about 20lbs or so, i have a 18.5 cooker I've used the weber rib rack for 5 racks of spares trimmed on the top grate, I have not had to use the bottom grate to cook with because I only cook for myself and hand full of people, the last time i had these back ribs they were like pork chops on a stick thick! The ribs will be cut in half, so the I'm thinking the bottom grate is gonna be used, foiling is gonna be out of question, I have not cooked ribs on both grates so I'm asking for knowledge from those of you that have.

Cooking ribs on two or three grates is a little inconvenient when it comes to foiling and glazing, but not a problem. Just remember that the top rack cooks a little faster. I'd just roll and skewer the slabs since, like most rib racks, the Weber racks just don't have enough room for thick loinbacks.

Last year, I was at Walmart's (during the Holidays) and they had a nice roaster pan with a roast rack on sale for about $7.00. The roast rack, turned over, is a perfect rack and holds six racks of ribs. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the rack.

At any rate, with an 18.5" WSM (which is what I have) I normally do three full racks. I cut them in half and they center the cooking grate, giving me perfect cooking including the ends (when doing full racks on my 22.5" OTG I would get overcooked ends). Cutting them in half solved that problem. If I ever need to do more than three racks, I will get another rib rack and use both grates. That way, I can do three full racks on each grate (cutting them in half) so I get a total of six full racks (12 halves).

I have not needed to use both grates, but If I needed both grates, I believe I could handle just fine by foiling the top grate first (and setting them aside), then the bottom grate, then replacing the top grate, and the ribs. Since the top grate finishes first, when I took them off, I would raise the bottom grate ribs to the top grate. It'll certainly take some juggling, but it appears completely doable to me.

FWIW
Dale53

Thanks Robert, now knowing the top rack cooks sooner helps a lot! my buddy kinda put me in spot inviting me to the lake, and oh! by the way your cooking for me and my friends! these loin backs will most likely be halved from the store,as long as there is plenty of beer everything should work out fine!

They cook faster than spares so keep an eye on them. I often cook spares and baby backs together, no foil, and always pull out the baby backs about an hour ahead of the spares.

When the BB is dry pull the spares and they willbe perfect! Jokes aside...I only did a full rack cook once. only cooked @ 1 time/temp. Sure there were a little texture diff about the low/top ones....But every ones picked there favorite. And both plate was gone. Depends how you want your ribs. FOTB or with a bite.

You can stack the ribs and rotate them every 45 minutes or so. If cooking HH rotate every 30 minutes. You can also just grill the ribs to perfection. Imho a perfectly grilled rib is better than a low and slow or HH cook.

Last edited:
Imho a perfectly grilled rib is better than a low and slow or HH cook.
Well, I've cooked them indirect at 325 or so and seared them at the end. Is this similar to what you're referring to or are you talking about grilling over direct heat from beginning to end?

Well, I've cooked them indirect at 325 or so and seared them at the end. Is this similar to what you're referring to or are you talking about grilling over direct heat from beginning to end?

Cooking over direct heat from start to finish, Rendovous cooks there ribs that way. My father showed me this method about some 25 yrs back.

Back