Lodge grill

I could get by with my SmokeFire and Q-320 but why?
If I can ever sneak out my green one touch kettle and WSM I’d like to pick up a performer but really it’s all just for fun at this point, I’m pretty good with what I have.

We went from 12 Weber's down to 5 working grills and one Gen 2 waiting for a restore. One the sidewinder NG E320 is more of our summer oven and being NG I don't hesitate to use it a lot in the summer to keep the heat out of the house. The Gen 2000 doesn't get used very often but I bought it new in 1998 so it's staying with us forever. My Weber gas powered kettle is about the best chicken cooker ever, don't know why but it just makes great chicken. The performer is our only charcoal grill now due to the charcoal ban in the summers here so it's pretty much a yard ornament but I'll keep for those times I can use it. The camp chef pellet grill is the latest addition and I really like it works, perfectly and will hold a ton of food and I can use it during the summer.
I forgot I do have a Smokey joe stashed away inside the E320s cabinet but I haven't used it in years.
Now that I think about it why do I want a sportsman that I can't use in the summer...Duh! I guess the quest for grills even including non Weber's never goes away and I thought I was cured. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That 15 x 12 Inch Seasoned Cast Iron Grill Topper with a roasting rack may be the perfect stand in for the Q320 indirect roasting setup that Weber does not sell in the US.

We went from 12 Weber's down to 5 working grills and one Gen 2 waiting for a restore. One the sidewinder NG E320 is more of our summer oven and being NG I don't hesitate to use it a lot in the summer to keep the heat out of the house. The Gen 2000 doesn't get used very often but I bought it new in 1998 so it's staying with us forever. My Weber gas powered kettle is about the best chicken cooker ever, don't know why but it just makes great chicken. The performer is our only charcoal grill now due to the charcoal ban in the summers here so it's pretty much a yard ornament but I'll keep for those times I can use it. The camp chef pellet grill is the latest addition and I really like it works, perfectly and will hold a ton of food and I can use it during the summer.
I forgot I do have a Smokey joe stashed away inside the E320s cabinet but I haven't used it in years.
Now that I think about it why do I want a sportsman that I can't use in the summer...Duh! I guess the quest for grills even including non Weber's never goes away and I thought I was cured. :rolleyes:
What is a "Weber gas powered kettle"?

What is a "Weber gas powered kettle"?
Weber’s first attempt at a gas grill.

Gas-kettle.jpg

They were total disasters. Absolute junk. My parents had one. It was awful to cook on
Maybe but, they are real unicorn items! Rich is very fond of his, I think some of these more “unusual” items is that they are far from the multi application grills that more people want. Rich is very pleased with his for poultry cooking and what the heck, if we can have dedicated units for one style, why not? I’m planning on setting up my $10.00 22” kettle for dedicated Vortex use and occasional Pizzaque work. Now, I simply need to figure out where in blazes I can set that up!

Maybe but, they are real unicorn items! Rich is very fond of his, I think some of these more “unusual” items is that they are far from the multi application grills that more people want. Rich is very pleased with his for poultry cooking and what the heck, if we can have dedicated units for one style, why not? I’m planning on setting up my $10.00 22” kettle for dedicated Vortex use and occasional Pizzaque work. Now, I simply need to figure out where in blazes I can set that up!
Not being a collector I don't see value in what doesn't perform. For me if an item doesn't do what I want it goes away no matter how cool it may look or seem. I can see how some might get nostalgic but nah, not for me. After helping my parents deal with that disaster until they got a Genesis. I was the first in the family to buy one (Genesis) and after my mother tried it and saw how wonderful it was compared to that badly designed kettle the kettle went right to the curb on trash day and a new black Genesis 2000 was delivered. That grill is still there BTW everything but grates, burners and bars original

Not being a collector I don't see value in what doesn't perform. For me if an item doesn't do what I want it goes away no matter how cool it may look or seem. I can see how some might get nostalgic but nah, not for me. After helping my parents deal with that disaster until they got a Genesis. I was the first in the family to buy one (Genesis) and after my mother tried it and saw how wonderful it was compared to that badly designed kettle the kettle went right to the curb on trash day and a new black Genesis 2000 was delivered. That grill is still there BTW everything but grates, burners and bars original
But you and I are NOT collectors. But just think of where we would be without collectors. They are the ones responsible for museums and preserving our history, both good and bad. It is important to look back at attempts bad and good to see what worked and what didn't and why. For me it is use it or loose it, but I do find collections valuable. I just learned that Weber's first attempt at a gas grill was a total dud, but they used it to come out with a much better grill;-)

Nope, My gasser kettle isn't one of those early disasters.
A few years ago Barb and I helped a fellow forum member that lives in Australia to get some parts that either were not available there or so ridiculously expensive it was cheaper to buy them here and even with the very expensive shipping costs still much cheaper than he could purchase them in Australia.
As a thank you for our help he sent us a Weber kettle conversion which converted a 22" kettle to propane. This conversion kit was never sold in the USA and as far as I can tell it was only sold in Australia and New Zealand.
Like I said in an earlier post, I don't no why but it cooks chickens perfectly every time.
When I tried to register it with Weber they said the wouldn't register it and I should not use it as it was an unauthorized modification even though it was a Weber product.
Here's a few pictures of it.

DSCN6163.JPG

DSCN6164.JPG

I have a large selection of cast iron and steel pans for lodge already. I can see a bunch more I would like from this link. The dual handle skillets are near the top of my list and the list is pretty long.

I have a large selection of cast iron and steel pans for lodge already. I can see a bunch more I would like from this link. The dual handle skillets are near the top of my list and the list is pretty long.
Chris, I have a 10 inch dual handle skillet and love it for the grill as there is no handle to get in the way. A 12” is next on my list as I need the extra space.

Chris, I have a 10 inch dual handle skillet and love it for the grill as there is no handle to get in the way. A 12” is next on my list as I need the extra space.

I have used disposable on my smoker since all mine have handles. The 10" and 12" for sure and maybe one with a lid. Now I need to fins a way to explain the need for more Cast Iron to the wife. LOL

Right! We don't eat out at fancy restaurants much ( covid aside ) because we eat well at home. The MRS. likes and maybe has come to expect good meals but what I do not get is how to accomplish our best without spending any money on tools / accessories / new grills ect.....
I just got one in October, I plan on getting one in the next 6 or 8 weeks.....WE will see how it goes....lol

I have used disposable on my smoker since all mine have handles. The 10" and 12" for sure and maybe one with a lid. Now I need to fins a way to explain the need for more Cast Iron to the wife. LOL
Yeah, a lid would be nice but here on Amazon Canada the 12” pan is $50 and the lid is $60. That’s not going to fly. 🙁

Right! We don't eat out at fancy restaurants much ( covid aside ) because we eat well at home. The MRS. likes and maybe has come to expect good meals but what I do not get is how to accomplish our best without spending any money on tools / accessories / new grills ect.....
I just got one in October, I plan on getting one in the next 6 or 8 weeks.....WE will see how it goes....lol
It a rarity when I go to a restaurant and do not think I can make what they have done at home too! I have spent a lot of time learning how to cook a lot of things. Asian, I just don’t do very well, I don’t do it a lot (likely why I don’t do it well) but, there are a few places close enough for me to scratch that itch. Some really good, and I mean REALLY good Mexican is two blocks away so, I just don’t do a lot of that anymore. Been acquiring tools and equipment for years and have a full rack of skillets, sauce pans in the kitchen with cast iron and large pieces either in the pantry or going down the basement stairwell. “I GOT STUFF” as my welder cousin in law says when I ask if he can do something.

Back