Lodge 8” cast iron round pan

They have redone the street and I asked the foreman if they might find a way to drop one off, he asked if I wanted a round one of a curb catch basin I said both, wife’s son wanted the round one.

I’m not sure how long it would take to get the grate to sear temp! But, it would have to be a Flintsonian size piece of meat to not fall through!

We figured this is about 600# plus another 150 for the grate.
The round one maybe 300.
I had two weightlifting guys move the thing.

Any suggestions on how to handle the rust? “Evaporust”? I’m not sure how I will dress out the exterior, maybe see if a buddy can do something with some higher temperature cement make it look a little less weird. Possibly using a cut off and easing the front back a bit, just got it placed last night. Too many other irons in the fire to get too involved with that one.

Evaporust would do the trick, but you'd need a 55 gallon drum of it! And a free bath tub to put it in.

Honestly since its not a cast iron collectors pan, I'd probably sand blast it. High temp paint (with exception of the grate). Oil the grate. Lotrs of cast iron stoves get sand blasted and painted.

Case, come and visit, bring the blaster I’ll cook! I don’t know anyone that has one but, that was my first thought too.
Great minds.

Cliff, it’s actually my “Moaning Chair”. That only makes sense to people that have read Howard I Chappelle’s “Small Boatbuilding”
He recommends “Having a comfortable chair where you can survey the construction of the vessel and commiserate with an apprentice (or chum) whilst looking for any errors or faults in fairness of the shape.” Or some such rather long winded statement. But, I do believe in the premise of the “Moaning Chair” especially when being faced with a behemoth such as this.

Back