Lobster tail

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Planning on doing lobster tails in the weber. Never done it before.
Can I get tips on how to do this...

I was thinking indirect until it turns pink?
Seasoned with webers seafood seasoning.

What about wood???

Any tips and advice is appreciated.

Planning on doing lobster tails in the weber. Never done it before.
Can I get tips on how to do this...

I was thinking indirect until it turns pink?
Seasoned with webers seafood seasoning.

What about wood???

Any tips and advice is appreciated.

I cant believe with all the cooks you have done Lobster tails are not one of them..LOL I do them all the time here when they have good sales on them. I usually wash them real good and then take scissors and cut up through the underside white shell part and crack it open to expose the meat and lift it out a bit.. I`ll mix butter with some lemon thyme I grow most of the year and let it simmer together for a little bit on the stove. I then baste the tails with the butter mix and slight amount of salt and put them on the grill for about 4 minutes or so per side until opaque and firm and with some grill marks. Son hated lobster in the restaurants but always asks for this.

Tony; let your instincts be your guide. Indirect naturally. For me, I prefer not adding wood smoke to lobster but you may want to try just a bit. The difficulty lies in not overcooking the tails - but I know you won't do that.

I agree with Mike and Pete. I like to make a little garlic butter and brush them like Mike said he does. They do not take very long to cook at all and you definitely don't want to over cook them. Since lobster tail is sweet and has a very good flavor of its own, I wouldn't put smoke on them, put if you want to put a little, put something light, like apple or peachwood, if you have it. I don't do them often but lobster is one of my favorite meals.

So is that your V-day dinner for Maribel?

I have done them indirect in a foil boat and without not bad. But last I did them par boiled then halfed them brushed with a butter oil garlic mix right on the hot coals and then filpped them just a couple of minutes a side. And they were excellant and much mire jucier.
Kevin

great idea chief. these turned out delicious even though I had never done lobster before either. just did it with my steaks... same time, same technique.... indirect for about 30 minutes then a little direct sear at the end on both sides. hint: when you pull them off drip or pat some butter on them before you let them rest under foil. hint #2: saute a little fresh chopped garlic and then finish lemon juice in that butter. dang good. send pics!

don't lift the lid....

I agree with Mike and Pete. I like to make a little garlic butter and brush them like Mike said he does. They do not take very long to cook at all and you definitely don't want to over cook them. Since lobster tail is sweet and has a very good flavor of its own, I wouldn't put smoke on them, put if you want to put a little, put something light, like apple or peachwood, if you have it. I don't do them often but lobster is one of my favorite meals.

So is that your V-day dinner for Maribel?

Yes..,
Planning on filet mignon and lobster. Here in so cal and I'm assuming everywhere the restaurants get crazy and 1-2 hour waits. They even give you pagers and you can wait in your car. Maribel and I are on the same page on cooking at home plus it's not fair for my kids to leave them home. they get restless waiting in the car.

I haven't done just lobster tails yet, but do grilled live lobsters all the time. For those I split them in half (put into freezer to make them not be too active in terms of moving), then throw them over indirect medium-high heat. Baste with garlic, basil, butter sauce. This is definitely one of my favorite ways to do the lobsters when I'm eating them straight, the grill flavor is a great addition. I haven't used any smoke wood when I do them.

Daum

Tony I never use wood on lobster I split the top and pull the meat up, on the kettle indirect but very close to the coals, as far as seasoning old bay Tony, old bay and I mix it with butter

A bunch of great informtion and ideas I guess I will have to go buy some to try out these new ways to cook them.
Going iut to dinner to wait for those little tails is so much hassle snd if uou do get a good size one it is like a car payment.
I love going to like Sams and getting some scalops, shrimp, tails or crab leggs (both good on the grill) for much cheaper and a lot more food for your dallor.
Love them with butter or Maypoi pepper sauce ( a Thai sweat pepper sauce) tastes great.
Enjoy all.

I read an article in Bon Appetit several months ago and they said a perfectly cooked lobster tail should measure 140 degrees. I remembered trying to commit this to memory, since it seemed a lot easier for me since I don't cook lobster often (Brian grew up in New England and doesn't eat seafood).

I konw this is a day late and a dollar short, but I hope it will help someone.

Great suggestion everyone.
Thank you.

Smoking-Meat.com had a recipe for a smoked seafood alfredo. He uses his own rub, but you can use whatever you like, and use his techniques. He smoked lobster tail and shrimp. Looked easy. Good luck.

Back