Live Report: Hearth, Patio, & BBQ Expo, Reno NV

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I'm reporting to you "live" from the Hearth, Patio, and Barbecue Expo at the Reno/Sparks Convention Center in Reno, NV.

I have spent the last few hours browsing the indoor display area and the outdoor "burn area", checking out the latest grilling and barbecue products for 2007.

What I mainly wanted to share with all of you was my discussion with Mike Kempster, Sr., Executive Vice President of Weber-Stephen Products Co.

As some of you may recall, I cornered Mr. Kempster at this same trade show in Anaheim, CA back in 2004 and asked what the future holds for the WSM. He was non-commital at the time, only saying "Stay tuned."

Well, this year he definitely took much greater interest in talking to me, so I think sometime in the past three years he's learned about TVWB.

He spent about 10 minutes talking with me about all things WSM. Here's what he shared with me:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>There is something new planned in terms of the WSM over the next two years. He said that at this trade show next year, he would be prepared to talk about it, although probably not be able to show it at that event. I pried for details, but he would not share them, as he "didn't want to potentially disappoint anyone."
<LI>He said that there is the possibility of doing a special edition color of the WSM, although he wouldn't say exactly what color. But in discussing this, he took me over to the new Weber Genesis in copper-colored porcelain enamel and showed that as an example of what would be possible.
<LI>I asked about the recent discussion brought up by one member of this BB about Weber not renewing the "Smokey Mountain Cooker" trademark in 2004. He said that Weber was having trouble defending that trademark, and thus decided to let it go. They trademark these terms all around the world, at great expense, so if you can't easily defend the trademark, you might as well let it go and save substantial money. I asked if they might rename the product in conjuction with any design revision, and his first answer was "No", but then he mentioned that they might use different names for different levels of product. That is a very interesting comment! Could the current WSM be getting a big brother or a high-end companion?
<LI>I asked about product packaging and all the bent bowls that people seem to get. He said that they keep close track of those numbers, and that it's more cost effective for Weber to replace damaged bowls occasionally that to spend a ton of money on bullet-proof packaging. He did say that the current box meets an ANSI standard for drop strength from 4 feet on the bottom, each side, and each corner, and UPS will not accept boxes for shipment unless they certify their packaging to the ANSI standard.
<LI>Mr. Kempster asked for my business card, so hopefully this will give us some "preview info" if things evolve with the WSM in the next couple of years.[/list]On another note, I checked out the new line of Genesis and Summit grills. They are very substantial, almost truck-like in looks and design. They also have that new copper-colored porcelain finish available, which Kempster says was very difficult to develop. Solid colors are easy, metallics extemely difficult, but they've come up with something that works and looks good, so perhaps we'll see more metallic colors in the future.

I did notice that the stainless steel grates in the Genesis were much, much less substantial than those in the Summit.

Finally, I had a chance to say hello to Dr. BBQ, Ray Lampe. He's doing his thing at the Big Green Egg booth, schmoozing with customers and preparing grilled samples. He's got a third book coming out in June 2007, this one more about his barbecue travels and lots of info on barbecue restaurants. I asked if he'd like to come back to TVWBB to do another Q&A session to promote that book, but he said he thought his original Q&A was really good and he didn't think he could improve on it!
icon_smile.gif
He was glad to hear that Jamie Purviance will be joining us to promote his new book at the end of this month.

If I come across anything else of interest here, I'll be sure to post it. I'm going to see if Steven Raichlen is at his booth.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for that excellent report, Chris. I am anxiously awaiting what Weber will/might come up with in the WSM line and even though it will be a year or 3 away, time seems to be passing much faster for me these days so the wait shouldn't be as long as for most others.
icon_wink.gif

Great report, Chris! I've got to say, we must have one the best user support resources in the bbq world!

A 22" WSM big brother would definitely be something I'd check out, but I'm hoping Weber will first come up with a caddy or table for the WSM.

A 22" WSM big brother would definitely be something I'd check out, but I'm hoping Weber will first come up with a caddy or table for the WSM.

Thats what I am talking about. I have one on my birthday wishlist for next year.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
What other chefs were there?
I have to admit I was more focused on the hardware than the personalities. But I'm not sure there were all that many there of any significance.

I did see Steven Raichlen at the Charcoal Companion booth, representing all his grilling accessories, rubs, and sauces. I didn't get to talk to him, as he was busy schmoozing some paying customers...fair enough.
icon_smile.gif
He did have some interesting sounding dry rubs I was not aware of, like Ice Tea Rub and Lemonade Rub. In addition to his wooden planks and wine barrel smoke wood, he's also selling olive branch smoke wood.

Overall, I didn't really see that much that was new or different. Except these things called outdoor wood/corn-burning furnaces. Sort of a gigantic version of an auger-fed wood pellet stove that sits out in the yard and heats water that flows into your house that can be used as hot tap water and to heat your home. Not sure what those have to do with "Hearth, Patio, & Barbecue", but nevertheless they were there in large numbers.

In the press kit I received from Weber (I went to the trade show on a press pass), they explain the new Weber gas grill nomenclature, if anyone's interested:

Sub-Brands: Spirit, Genesis, Summit
Lid Material: E=Porcelain Enamel, S=Stainless Steel
1st Digit: Indicates number of primary burners: 2, 3, 4, or 6
2nd Digit: Designates additional burners: 1=no side burner, 2=side burner, 3=side burner and smoker burner, 4=side burner and rotisserie burner, 5=side burner, smoker burner, and rotisserie burner
3rd Digit is merely a placeholder

For example:

Spirit E-210 = porcelain enamel lid, 2 burners, no side burner

Genesis E-320 = porcelain enamel lid, 3 burners, and a side burner

Genesis S-320 = stainless steel lid, 3 burners, and a side burner

Summit S-650 = stainless steel lid, 6 burners, and side burner, smoker burner, and rotisserie burner

The other thing I learned is that Weber bought Ducane in 2004. The Ducane line has been reworked by Weber to eliminate those pesky lava rocks and they've somewhat upgraded construction, while still offering a lower entry-level price than Weber. However, Ducane also offers some really honkin'-on huge gas grills, like the Ducane Meridian Series, that includes 5 burners, an electric warming drawer with chaffing dishes, two side burners, infrared rotisserie burner, and granite work surfaces. It sells for $1999, versus $1800 for the top-of-the-line Weber Summit S-650.

Regards,
Chris

I googled a bit but all I saw was.

Since acquiring Ducane Products Co. less than three years ago, Weber-

source

I also saw that Weber did not pick up the Ducane warranty on prior sales. Smart move if true.

And another

Publication: Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL)
Publication Date: 05-MAR-04
Delivery: Immediate Online Access
Company: Weber-Stephen Products Co.

Article Excerpt
Weber-Stephen makes acquisition

HUNTLEY - Weber-Stephen Products Co., said Thursday it has acquired certain assets of Ducane Gas Grills Inc., including the Ducane name. No financial terms were disclosed. "Ducane has built impressive brand equity through the years," said Jim Stephen, Weber-Stephen president and chief executive officer, adding that...

source

Off topic, the source had a story about an elderly lady being kicked out of a Starbucks because they thought she was homeless.

sue them louise

My friend has one of those 5 burner Meridian Series grills in his store, it's an impressive looking grill. I can take a better look at it next time I'm down there if any of you have any questions about it.

This is great news and content. 1000 cheers to Chris for being where we can't be and asking the good questions. Thanks Chris for a great report. Next year we'll have to figure out a WebCast. By the time the new WSM comes out, maybe you'll even have a news crew to do a live feed. Man this is awesome.
icon_cool.gif

Nice report Chris. It was good to see you. You hit my feelings about another Q&A right on the head.

What I read into the Weber guy's comments is that there is no rush to get in on the fad of smoking. If they are that methodical about the future of the WSM in any configuration they must think the popularity of real BBQ has a bright and long future. That's good news!

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Hi everyone,

Finally, I had a chance to say hello to Dr. BBQ, Ray Lampe.......... I asked if he'd like to come back to TVWBB to do another Q&A session to promote that book, but he said he thought his original Q&A was really good and he didn't think he could improve on it!
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Greetings Ray,

You are selling yourself short. As good as the last Q&A was you always have something to bring to the table. Your Q stories alone are quite entertaining.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

Back