Little slow here, just had to add something

Those cats are awesome! Looks like you're getting to enjoy the "fall" weather. I live down in Aransas Pass and I'm going to fire up the offset tomorrow for the first time in months.

But….those aren’t on a Smokefire. Cool and all I guess but don’t belong in here

Like I’m the only one that has recently posted cooks not done on a Weber, let alone a Smokefire.
I was just breaking up the dead air. Sorry to offend you.
You know, I've seen a lot of diversification on this Smokefire forum and. at first it bothered me too. Now it doesn't bother me although, as you know, I am a Smokefire afficionado and my cookers consist of two Smokefires and a Jumbo Joe in case the power goes out. I like reading about other grills and if they're on the Smokefire forum it works for me. Loosey goosey is not a bad thing unless you're making an approach to an aircraft carrier in rough seas. But, I am now an easy going very old fart. :) I find Larry's post about his excursion into the pellet world entertaining and a little surprising but it does promote pellet grills. And the forum was pretty quiet. Maybe comatose. :ROFLMAO:

Speaking of SF. We had been discussing the idea that the SF would have ashes mixed in with grease but I think it was you Lew, mentioned using a pan or deflector of some sort to alleviate. But, then my question is: Does that make a SF like every other pellet grill? I have been seeing some SF being posted at fairly aggressive prices. And, I have to say I like the design for accessibility.

Does anyone remember if Chris has voiced his opinion on other grill names being mentioned or talked about here?

Speaking of SF. We had been discussing the idea that the SF would have ashes mixed in with grease but I think it was you Lew, mentioned using a pan or deflector of some sort to alleviate. But, then my question is: Does that make a SF like every other pellet grill? I have been seeing some SF being posted at fairly aggressive prices. And, I have to say I like the design for accessibility.
Larry, the grease problem goes away with the use of a disposable foil pan. I replaced my stock upper cooking grate on both Smokefires with a 14" deep grate and that's my primary low and slow grate. It allows me to set a foil pan on the lower grate and catch the grease. Others set shallow pans on the flavorizer bars and cook on the lower grate. I've done that but don't like having to remove and replace the grates. Some guys have tried using a large sheet pan on the flavorizer bars. All methods work and don't seem to negate the open cook chamber design. I suspect that in the conventional design grill the grease pan covers over 90% of the area and drip pans cover a lower percentage. Just my guess.

Does anyone remember if Chris has voiced his opinion on other grill names being mentioned or talked about here?
Chris has always ran a tight, neat forum. I have seen Chris move posts into proper sections but I don’t recall him calling anyone out for talking about another brand. I joined this forum in 2005 and lurked for a few years before joining. But I don’t “live” here. I also think most members here are pretty respectful and there is less pot stirring here than most forums.

Joan, there have been several threads about the gravity fed smokers, new Camp Chef, Recteq, and others and Chris has, to my knowledge, never expressed his disapproval. In the Smokefire forum, I know the discussions of other grills and the comparisons to the Smokefire liven up the place.

Yeah, I always thought this was first and foremost an "enthusiast" site not necessarily a "Weber" site

Darian could of posted this anywhere on the forum.
Maybe Chris might move it.
Weber or not, we can discuss other brands.

Thanks
I wouldn’t even care if it was moved or deleted. I wasn’t promoting or bragging about another brand. I doubt anyone could even guess the grill if they had not seen another past post.
But there must be a lot of bored people to attract this much attention over nothing.

You miss a very basic point….

It’s a charcoal grill, in a pellet section.

Rocket science this isn’t. Pay attention gentlemen

Back