Little Fishy Quicky

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So my Fish Monger had Whiting come in today and they looked like they just jumped into the boat, usually I smoke Whiting but had not time for it tonight.
So, packed inside with Parsley, Chive, Oregano, small pieces of Lemon nd Fresh Ground. Coated with course Kosher and then covered with it

DSC_0570_zps26459e52.jpg

DSC_0573_zps6912dfe2.jpg

Also picked up some delish West Coast Oysters

DSC_0575_zps39207486.jpg

DSC_0576_zps2ab06e2c.jpg

On indirect for about ten minutes, most of the salt falls off as they steam in their own juices, two Sweet's finishing off

DSC_0580_zpsc5df9c90.jpg

A really nice Austrian Table Wine, loved it's flavor

DSC_0579_zps5d210401.jpg

Your plate, enjoy, really tasty stuff

DSC_0582_zps86ebc7ab.jpg

We love Whiting, but I have never seen them fresh. (heads and skin on)
Around here they're frozen, and either filets or whole, but skinned.
Your prep and cook looks terrific Bill!

Great seafood feast! Never had whiting or west coast oysters...but love fish and oysters.

West coast oysters more briney or sweet?

Good stuff Bill, I love fish cooked like that

I'm currently waiting for the mackerel season to start, and this is one of my favourite ways to cook it. Have you tried adding dill? Not quite sure how much it is used outside the Nordic area (especially popular in Finland and Sweden), but it is a good herb for fish

Luke the West Coast Oysters are milder and maybe a little sweeter to me, East coast more briney generally, but have a substantial taste. I like both but generallt prefer East Coast.

Svein I use dill all the time, I had none fresh that is why I did not do it.

Luke the West Coast Oysters are milder and maybe a little sweeter to me, East coast more briney generally, but have a substantial taste. I like both but generallt prefer East Coast.

Svein I use dill all the time, I had none fresh that is why I did not do it.

Good to hear, and my complements on the oysters

Very unique, Bill. I love fish, but I must confess, I've never heard of that fish before, at least not by that name. Always learn something new on this board. Excellent job.

Thanks Guy's, and for you fellows wondering about Whiting you are really missing out not trying, very flavorful fish with a texture like Halibut and their bone structure is very easy to pull away nice chunks of meat real easy and bone free.. My favorite way with them is smoked and they are superb. Many fine food marts carry them smoked, pick some up and try you will be glad you did

A really nice Austrian Table Wine, loved it's flavor

DSC_0579_zps5d210401.jpg

Grüner Veltliner (Green Veltliner) is a variety of white wine grape variety grown primarily in Austria, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic.
This wine I drank in my life hundreds of bottles (and I'm not lying) :)
So, fish and Oysters and wine are perfect Bill!

It is good Mildo have had it before and will get more soon, maybe I will shoot for 100's in my life too

Last edited:

Back