Linking HM to WWW

WBegg

TVWBB Pro
i know this has probably been asked (and answered) before, but what is the procedure for linking my HM to the www? I have a web page, but I'm not so savvy in the ways of networking.

I want to be able to access, and have others access my HM from anywhere, not just within wifi range of my router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Will

You just have to port forward over port 80 in your wireless router to the IP address that your HM is using. Then you need to know the IP address that your internet provider is assigning to you and connect to that IP from the WWW and it should load. Some internet providers (or routers) block the use of port 80, so you may have to change what port the HM uses for the web server in that case.

The Internet IP address that your ISP assigns your router changes over time so one cannot rely on it always being the same. To bypass this problem, use a free Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service. You create an account on a DDNS service provider (I use NOIP.com) and define a free DDNS domain name (xxx.yyy.org as an example). By running a small DDNS client program on any machine on your Home Local Area Network (LAN), the DDNS domain name is constantly updated with the current IP address assigned to you by your ISP. In my case that client program runs on my router. When you want to access the correct IP address that represents your router from the Internet, just use the DDNS domain name that is guaranteed to be correct. DDNS coupled with a new port forwarding rule to move traffic to the HeaterMeter is all you need.

IT WORKS! i set up the HM as static through my router, got a free DDNS name from no-ip, and forwarded, AWESOME! I have a 9 lb shoulder on my Weber Smoky Mountain right now. Go to http://beggbq.servebeer.com/ to view it, if you dare!

I'm sitting here reading the forums and drinking coffee, see your post, and suddenly I'm reminded... OH! I was supposed to get up early today to start the BBQ. Thanks for reminding me, a small 5lb butt going on shortly.

Ok guys I'm brand new to this and am LOST!!

So I have my heatermeter connected to my internet and can see it on my home network. I did a static IP on my router to link to the mac addy so when I hooks up it automatically gets the IP I want. But I'm lost on the whole seeing it outside my network.

I set up a free NOIP.com and define a free DDNS domain name but now I'm lost on what to do! Do I port forword? what do I do with this DDNS name?
I have a PK5000 Actiontec modem if you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it.

It has a DDNS HOsting map tab and a Dynamic DNS tab. The Dynamic DNS tab uses www.dyndns.com and links your account but those aren't free are they?

Would I use PitDroid App when I'm away from home and how do I get that to link to the heater meter correctly? I have it working on my home newtowrk but not when I'm not

Any help I'd appreciate for a noob.
Thanks

First you need to make sure that you have a way to update the DDNS (noip.com) records from inside your network. If you have a home computer, noip.com should have a client you can install and leave running. This will replace setting the DDNS up in your router. After that, then you need to port forward port 80 to your HM's IP address. Then to setup PitDroid you'll just need your noip domain configuration i.e. [abcd.noip.com] and put that in as the "server address" in PitDroid.

Geoff - Yes I have that client running in the background on my laptop.

Just like this?
Starting port: 80
Ending port: 80
Protocol TCP
Lan address 192.168.0.22 (the hm static IP I set)

Remote port and IP info???? Anything in there?

Thanks for the quick help guys

Remote port should be 80 as well. Not familiar with your router, but you shouldn't have to put anything in "remote IP" field unless for security reasons you want to restrict which IP's are able to connect

Works! Thanks

But if I'm hooked up to my router on my phone it won't work on pit droid with the server set as my noir.com name. But if **** my wifi on phone off and it pulls 4g the pit droid app works. Any idea why

Works! Thanks

But if I'm hooked up to my router on my phone it won't work on pit droid with the server set as my noir.com name. But if **** my wifi on phone off and it pulls 4g the pit droid app works. Any idea why

You might look through your router for a config setting called NAT loopback or something to that effect and enable it. Your router is blocking that kind of traffic as a security feature

Works! Thanks

When you are on wifi, you need to use the IP address that the HM is connected to the router with on your phone. I Leave pitdroid as my UDS.servebeer.com, you could change the the server to your IP address in Pitdroid, but when Im on wifi with my phone, I just control the HM with the browser.

Last edited:
Geoff. I'll try that

John. Good to know. Would be nice to leave the ddns name and have it work whether connected to wireless or outside network the same

Back