Lid thermometer?

Anyone add one? I am curious as to why weber didn't include one, when all their other grills have them. I know you can plug in probes and what not, but sometimes its nice when its right there in front of you.

Doesnt the controller tell you what the current temp of the grill is?
Sort of...I have found that the temperature on the controller only changes if the grill gets 30deg off the set temp. I.E. if it over shoots by 30, it will change, or if you open the lid and it drops by over 30 it will change. Never goes above 600 though.

I can have the grill set @ 250f and bump it to 275 and within a 1/2 second it beeps and tells me it has reached the target temperature.

It's a PID controller on a pellet grill and they show averaged temps instead of instantaneous temp. It doesn't make sense to stick an analog thermometer in the lid that's going to give you the same accuracy as the controller temp. A lid thermometer makes sense in a WSM or side fire box smoker but it would be redundant in a pellet grill.

Simply put an air probe in the chamber and plug it into the controller. It is not averaged and you will learn a lot about the unit.

And the chamber temp is not important if you are burning everything at grill level.

I hope this doesn't sound as though I think I know the minds of Weber and other manufactures but perhaps the reasons already discussed here are why these folks don't include an analog thermometer. Could you imagine the calls and returns we would make if we were comparing the two temp readings all day, lol?

I don't know what the sample and/or transmission rates are but the combination of those are probably why the temp readings on our units don't change on the fly such as when the lid is raised and maybe they do that by design to reduce bandwidth and to keep us from freaking out.

I hope this doesn't sound as though I think I know the minds of Weber and other manufactures but perhaps the reasons already discussed here are why these folks don't include an analog thermometer. Could you imagine the calls and returns we would make if we were comparing the two temp readings all day, lol?

I don't know what the sample and/or transmission rates are but the combination of those are probably why the temp readings on our units don't change on the fly such as when the lid is raised and maybe they do that by design to reduce bandwidth and to keep us from freaking out.
Totally agree with this post - no analog thermometer is one less thing for Weber to worry about. I would probably use a secondary thermometer as a cross check if I felt the need to confirm the pellet grill's temperature reading/output.

I agree with both of you. But many of us who are the original SF users have had to use the air probes to determine what the unit is doing from the beginning. And some of us are still having problems that many of the new users are not having. Why this is is not clear and that is the problem.

Back