Lid Cleaning

Jerry S.

TVWBB Member
I have had my WSM for several years now and recently I have noticed flakes of black material on the inside of the lid. The flakes tend to come off easily and I am concerned that they may be getting on the meat.

Any tips for cleaning and repairing? I am thinking I could scrape them off somehow and maybe repaint with a high temp. paint?

I would be quite surprised if it doesn't brush of pretty easily. Even more surprised if there is any damage to the finish.

It is DEFINATELY just grease/carbon build up very common, just lightly scrub with a scotchbrite or balled up foil or some other gentle scubber and you will be good to Q
icon_wink.gif

It's merely the residue of smoke-laden moist air. I wouldn't make it's removal into a major project. A shot with the hose, or even just a brushing-off with as little as a ball of dry crumpled newspaper will remove enough of it to prevent any falling onto food. And even if it did, it's really the same thing that's being intentionally deposited on the meat, just on the inside of the lid.

I make it a habit to check the inside of the lid for flakes before each cooking session. I use a stiff bristle brush and garden hose and it all comes off, back to the original finish. I dry off the outside with an old towel and then leave the lid turned up in the sun to dry out while getting things ready to cook.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Pearson:
balled up foil or some other gentle scubber and you will be good to Q
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup. Some wadded up tin foil will knock off the loose stuff, but still leave behind the "seasoning".
I check the dome before each cook.

I get this in my Weber kettle lid as well from all the smoke roasting.

Every so often I take the kettle and WSM to a self service car wash and blast them with the powerwasher after giving them a little scrub.

Followed the advice provided above and my lid, as well as the middle section, look almost like new. Thanks for the help.

Back