Lid Almost Sealed Shut

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
Yesterday on a rib cook I struggled to get the lid off a well seasoned cooker. There's a nice black sheen on the inside of the lid and while the lid has been a little sticky when trying to remove it, it almost became a real problem yesterday.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Alan, has happened to me many times, what an awesome seal huh? I get one of those kitchen pot holder things (square that you grab hot pans with or set something hot on) or use my BBQ glove to press down on one side of the top of the middle piece and then put a little Popeye muscle into lifting the lid off. Hasn't really been an issue for me as I typically only open the lid of my cooker once during a cook and I love the seal.

The seal is nice to hold in the smoke, but you can use a plastic putty knife to remove the excess gunk. I would leave some of it on though as I feel like it helps.

It happened to me as well. I finally got it off by getting some heat going and just wiped the mating surfaces with a disposable shop rag. It still sticks a bit when cold but not near as bad which lets me know I didn't remove all the goodness to that seal.

Well the putty knife made it so I can strong arm it open, but it's still way sticky for comfort.

Oh how I hate when that happens. I could pick up the middle section with the lid mine was so gunky. I actually cleaned the whole inside of the lid with oven cleaner and started making a practice of wiping the lip of the lid and cented section where the lid fits after I'm done cooking. It took about 3 hrs to get the build up off the lid and I figure it couldn't hurt to clean it as well as I did so I don't have to worry about the crud dripping down or flaking off onto my food

My UDS got so bad I had to use some oven cleaner on the inside of the lid rim. The UDS had a weber lid.

Originally posted by Kevin Stephens:
It worked on the lid and the top vent (which wouldn't move with a hammer before).
Used a bit of Pam on the top vent two years ago. Twirls like a champ to this day.

Back