Letting your steak/roast come to room temperature

You must be referring to "the cap". I find it's the tougher part of that cut BUT also has a ton of flavour (and when cut "properly" on your plate, is a great piece of meat).

IFthat part is tougher, then something is going wrong somewhere. The muscle is the Spinalis Dorsi and it's the second most tender muscle on the carcass.

A good sear is a function of moisture. Cook your steaks within 5 minutes of salting or after 40 minutes (even overnight in the fridge.). Between 5 minutes and 40 minutes the salt causes the surface of the steak to be moist, thereby reducing the ability to sear.
Reference - https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html
Russell

Totally agree with that link, Russell. When I get a thick expensive steak, I always dry brine it overnight on a rack in the fridge. Seems to work great. The reverse sear also seems to get the best result: Cook the steak indirect until it reaches about 115 internal, then take it off the grill and rest it while you build an afterburner-hot searing fire. Blot any moisture off the surface of the steak and paint it with a thin coat of vegetable oil just before you start the sear. It should take no more than 1-2 minutes per side.

Thanks for that link.

Jeff

Back