Let’s talk waffles

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
We’ve never had an electric waffle maker. I’ve looked at antique cast iron ones but most are super expensive or would require a lot of restoration or both. The Appalachian Cast Iron Company has a new one out. So on a whim I picked one up. It arrived the other day. Today made our first batch.

It does take some time. Really need to warm the paddles up good. Then each waffle (on my stove) took 8 minutes. As the process went along I learned a few things so the next batch should be smoother. Number one tip is to really let the paddles warm up prior to using. Especially if you want crispy waffles.

72163F5D-ADCD-4350-9B17-0E70136237C9.jpeg

FBD9FED7-883D-4971-B57A-926FD4A9BB79.jpeg

AAA26872-60EA-4D07-B006-1911ABF30D24.jpeg

Sorry for the sideways photos it’s the only way I can get them to insert from my phone.

We’ve never had an electric waffle maker. I’ve looked at antique cast iron ones but most are super expensive or would require a lot of restoration or both.
We have an old Griswold waffle iron that we bought at a yard sale about 25 years ago; my wife says we paid $5 or so for it. We got it because we wanted a waffle iron we could use on the woodstove as well as in the kitchen. Haven't had or used an electric one since.

I do respect your efforts. I have a cheap electric one but it works great. It tells me when the waffles are done and that makes it so easy.

At first I thought this was going to be about politicians and waffling on issues. Thankfully, it’s not 🤗

We had an electric that did 1 large round waffle at a time, which got old. Later we picked up an cuisinart that does four oversized squares at a time and this has proved to be more efficient at churning them out. I still like the old school irons like the OP though Ive never owned one.

Back