Let’s play Eat The Freezer!

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Round two of let’s empty the house. In today’s empty the freezer game we feature:

Mahi-mahi, lime garlic grilled shrimp, and chicken mushroom bacon Swiss cheese brats. Quite tasty when you’re drinking margaritas 🍸

Grill got to over 1100°F. HOT‼️

Attachments

• 70833E98-C4C7-43BB-852D-F5FE6F347F20.jpeg
    70833E98-C4C7-43BB-852D-F5FE6F347F20.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 27
  • CD26D225-6EFC-4702-A0DA-8B417E09CCEB.jpeg
    CD26D225-6EFC-4702-A0DA-8B417E09CCEB.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 6243C9F8-D2AC-43B0-8A1D-38B9F9F58964.jpeg
    6243C9F8-D2AC-43B0-8A1D-38B9F9F58964.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Very nice cook. Barb and I have to play that game soon as Barb is getting ready to start baking for the holidays and the three freezers are totally stuffed.

Somebody's eating good tonight!

Been meaning to clean out our chest freezer and defrost it, but it'll have to wait. With high meat prices and impending shortages, I've been jumping on all of the sales I find. Just found pork sirloin steaks for $1.29/lb. Could only find room for ~12 lbs.

Last edited:
We play eat the freezer a lot. What we started playing just yesterday, is Eat The Pantry- We have 3 shelves filled with food stuff. I asked DH to pick one thing from each shelf. Shelf one he picked a bottle of French's Yellow Mustard (we have 2/BIF). So, I spent yesterday working on the Mustard binder and with DH help, again, found a chicken recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of yellow mustard. A good start. I will be working on the 2nd item today. A can of diced mango. Tomorrow will be looking for something to cook using up what is left in a bottle of Grand Marnier. Like I always say, hey, it keeps me off the streets. lol

We play eat the freezer a lot. What we started playing just yesterday, is Eat The Pantry- We have 3 shelves filled with food stuff. I asked DH to pick one thing from each shelf. Shelf one he picked a bottle of French's Yellow Mustard (we have 2/BIF). So, I spent yesterday working on the Mustard binder and with DH help, again, found a chicken recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of yellow mustard. A good start. I will be working on the 2nd item today. A can of diced mango. Tomorrow will be looking for something to cook using up what is left in a bottle of Grand Marnier. Like I always say, hey, it keeps me off the streets. lol
Mustard sauce for pulled pork sandviches. 1 mustard, 1 brown sugar, .5 vinegar, add Worcestershire, and hot flakes if wanted
Great for sandwiches

For anyone curious, we found a recipe for the mango, "Korean Barbecued Beef. Now we just need to get some skirt steak. lol

Last edited:
That sounds like a pretty fun game! I need to start a round or ten of that here!
It always makes for interesting meals. We like to do it early Oct so we can clear the fridges and pantry before the holiday season. It’s a great way to avoid old dates on produced food (cans) and ensures we have proteins that are no more than 6 months frozen.

You’d be surprised how much you save when you don’t have to shop, sans a few fresh veggies and fruits.

Somebody's eating good tonight!

Been meaning to clean out our chest freezer and defrost it, but it'll have to wait. With high meat prices and impending shortages, I've been jumping on all of the sales I find. Just found pork sirloin steaks for $1.29/lb. Could only find room for ~12 lbs.
Those are god reasons to go slowly. Sounds like you’re already a smart shopper so you’re ahead in the game.

The official Eat The Freezer rules book, 2021 edition, does allow for including the pantry. The objective is to only use what’s already at home. No new purchases allowed. Each meal you make in this method is worth points: 5 for using a protein, 3 for a frozen non protein, and all pantry items are worth 2 points. At the end of a week, add up all your points to determine a winner if you have an opponent.

Mary and I actually emptied the freezer not long ago. We’ve been very careful not to stuff it full again.

One game we’ve played for years is grocery store roulette. It can be tough.
Go to store without a menu.
Only things on sale can be purchased for the meal.
That sounds like a fun game. Will play this after Eat The Freezer is completed.

It always makes for interesting meals. We like to do it early Oct so we can clear the fridges and pantry before the holiday season. It’s a great way to avoid old dates on produced food (cans) and ensures we have proteins that are no more than 6 months frozen.

You’d be surprised how much you save when you don’t have to shop, sans a few fresh veggies and fruits.
Heck yes, and it keeps things in better “rotation” to boot!

My variation is going to be eat the oldest, or toss it out.

Freezer, fridge and pantry is in play.
Yup. I rotate everything in the freezers about once a month. Older stuff in the chest freezer goes to the back of shelves in the side by side. With the exception of very large packages, we eat out of the side by side. Been a long time since we've had to throw anything out. Repackaging in multi layered vacuum bags helps a lot.

For anyone curious, we found a recipe for the mango, "Korean Barbecued Beef. Now we just need to get some skirt steak. lol

This was dinner last night. DH made a few changes, so I can't give the recipe a real review. I would give our version a good rating. Maybe some day in the future we will try it again according to the recipe.

We do this every day of the week! It's a normal part of living out in the boonies.

For us, it's more like "eat what's getting close to slaughtering/harvesting age". Example: we have a hog being butchered today, so lately we've been eating a lot of pork to clear some room in the freezer.

Back