Less Smoke

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
I have a 18.5 WSM and I prefer a more subtle smoke flavor. Any advice to dial back the smoke? Been using a few fist size chunks with the minion method.

-Jeff

What kind of wood are you using? Besides using too much species affects the final flavor. Hickory and Misquite tend to be stronger in flavor. Apple, Cherry, Pecan and Maple are on the mild side. Oak is in the middle. I usually use one part hickory to 2 parts apple or cherry. I like the hickory to complement the flavor, not be the flavor.

You didn't say what meat you are making. For example, chicken and pork loins are pretty easy to over smoke. If you don't like what you are getting, cutting back the amount of smoke wood would be my first move but type of wood is also important as Mark Q mentioned as well as how dry the wood is if it is something you have gathered yourself. Since you are using Minion method I am assuming you are doing big cuts like pork butts or beef brisket. If you are doing something like ribs or chicken, then I would stay away from the Minion method because a lot of additional smoke action is happening while it is coming up to temp.

I have a 18.5 WSM and I prefer a more subtle smoke flavor. Any advice to dial back the smoke? Been using a few fist size chunks with the minion method.

-Jeff

I don't know how many a "few fist sized chunks" is, but cut it back to one and see how that works. If that isn't enough then next time try two.

Thanks everyone, I think I just need to use less wood. I have been using milder woods (apple, pecan and oak). I find that I get a lot of smoke the first few hours, then it tapers off to a more steady stream, which is what I am looking for throughout. In addition to using less wood, what are the thoughts on soaking it? I know that this generally does not make a difference, but would it slow the rate of burn to have it smoke slower?

On my kettle I would use small foil packs of soaked wood chips every 2 hours and that worked well..I suppose I could always do that as well on the WSM, but would prefer to make it work with the chunks to be more hands off.

On another note, the people I work with loved the leftover brisket I made, so the smoke is right for most, I just like it to be more subtle.

Thanks!

Soaking junks won't make much difference. Just cut back on the # of chunks. My wife just started eating meat again but doesn't like much smoke on her ribs. I use 1 chunk on the kettle for her ribs.

I like Tom_M's reply. In addition, I like to get the fire burning clean then add wood for smoke. I rarely use more than a couple pieces regardless of species or food.

I agree with using less wood. My wife is sensitive to the taste of smoke, especially on poultry. My last batch of chicken didn't use any wood at all.

I still use wood on pork and beef, but not really a lot, maybe 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks at most.

<snip>I find that I get a lot of smoke the first few hours, then it tapers off to a more steady stream, which is what I am looking for throughout. <snip>
This is what Dwain refers to when he says "clean burning fire" for his cook. Next time, don't put your meat (or smoking chunks) on until you see nothing but the thin-blue-smoke coming from the smoker vent. It might be the thick white smoke that's imparting the flavor you don't want.

Try splitting your fist sized chunk into 4 or 5 pcs. Lay that over the unlit and add the lit on-top.
You will get out of the TWS and into the TBS much faster. (Depending on you're choice of fuel )

Tim

Thanks everyone! This is all really helpful ans makes a lot of sense. Seems like the Rx is less wood and wait a bit for the smoke to go clean before cooking. Will let you know how I fare on the next few cooks...

I am having the same issue, thanks to all who responded. I do have one question? Should I wait until all the coals are completely ashed over in the chimney before adding them to the smoker.

I am having the same issue, thanks to all who responded. I do have one question? Should I wait until all the coals are completely ashed over in the chimney before adding them to the smoker.

I don't with RO lump or briqs.
Some that use the K will tho.

Tim

Back