Lemon Pledge

Brian_D

TVWBB Pro
Growing up, my mom used lemon pledge to clean the furniture. Even after that, the better half uses it also. After all these years, it has absolutely ruined me for lemon flavored food. Fish with lemon juice drizzled over it? No thanks. Lemon chicken? Gross.
Anybody else have something similar happen to them?

My SIL used that stuff like it was going out of style.
When we moved her all her wood furniture was a PITA to handle.
I hate that smell.

Boy, does this bring back memories...my Grandma would buy Lemon Pledge by the case when it went on sale at Kmart! She used it all over inside the house and even to dust the smooth, brick-colored polished concrete of the covered patio in the backyard.

We use it on occasion. One day the valve malfunctioned and more or less exploded polish all over the end table. We thought that we gotten it all up, but missed some that had apparently gotten on the hardwood floor. My son came running into the room in socks and went flying like Tom Cruise in Risky Business.

Growing up, my mom used lemon pledge to clean the furniture. Even after that, the better half uses it also. After all these years, it has absolutely ruined me for lemon flavored food. Fish with lemon juice drizzled over it? No thanks. Lemon chicken? Gross.
Anybody else have something similar happen to them?
Brian, I don't know if this counts, but when I was little, at Easter I use to get chocolate eggs stuffed with coconut in my Easter basket. Couldn't stand them. I really don't like cooking with coconut now, which is a shame, considering where I live. lol

Strange, I still love chocolate tho. :rolleyes: 😊

Last edited:
None of it ever bothered me. I still use Lemon Pledge especially when I detail a mixer after overhaul. Used to use it on my motorcycles as well. A guy I know who painted show cars also told me it was a little secret many exhibitors used to wipe down their show cars. Now of course they have other spray on wipe off products but back in the day it was used a lot

I have a more pleasant association with aromas, the smell of frying onions and garlic was a smell that always meant dinner would be delicious.
L’air du Temps and baby powder... a serious girlfriend (before my wife)
Diesel and Mississippi River water, a day on the “Lotus Queen”
Charcoal lighter fluid... Dad was grilling! Before he learned about the chimney!

Mine is any grape or cherry flavored candies, ices, drinks, you name it. All taste like the cough medicine from my childhood.

Last edited:
Every time I smell two stroke engine exhaust I immediately think of my dad, and being out fishing with him. We had an old 6 hp green Johnson outboard that smoked like a chimney. That is if we could get it started.
We had a 3 hp. just like that too! Another aroma memory! Damn thing would either fire right up or take 20 minutes!

True story…my grandmother was a neat/clean freak and would spray furniture polish (perhaps Pledge) on their 1956 Weber kettle after each use before wheeling it back into the garage in Des Moines, Iowa. Pledge was invented in 1958 and she applied it to the grill after each use before gifting the grill to my brother and sister-in-law in the early 80’s as a wedding present. Here is a picture of the kettle, which now is owned by Weber again and in the Chicago area.
F1B2B687-3F3B-4564-BC0C-88C6F7625773.jpeg9A68C85B-28B9-4E64-9CEF-DC7322223371.jpeg

We use it on occasion. One day the valve malfunctioned and more or less exploded polish all over the end table. We thought that we gotten it all up, but missed some that had apparently gotten on the hardwood floor. My son came running into the room in socks and went flying like Tom Cruise in Risky Business.
When I was in college I lived in a long, rectangular dorm that had the rooms along the outer walls, with the common bathroom and some lounge areas in the center, hallways on either side between rooms and the bathroom/lounges in the middle. This formed a vaguely oval "track" with the hallways on either side and the open lounge areas providing means of crossing over. Some idiot who lived on the floor occasionally rode his bicycle around this track. It wouldn't have been that bad if he'd gone slowly, but he was going for workout speed so we'd have a bicycle going by at 15MPH just inches from the door to the room. Somebody who was sick of this (no, it wasn't me) waited until the rider had crossed to the other side and was out of sight for a few seconds and then sprayed Lemon Pledge near the point at the end of the straightaway where the rider needed to turn. (The hallway continued straight another twenty feet or so before ending in a brick wall.) The rider came around the far end, headed down the straight section, came to the end, and just kept going straight. We never again had a problem with anyone riding a bicycle on the floor.

It doesn't ruin any food for me, but I can't stand the smell of the floor cleaning juice they sell with those Swiffer wet mop gizmos. The smell isn't particularly unpleasant but it's cloying beyond belief and lasts for days even with the windows open.

True story…my grandmother was a neat/clean freak and would spray furniture polish (perhaps Pledge) on their 1956 Weber kettle after each use before wheeling it back into the garage in Des Moines, Iowa. Pledge was invented in 1958 and she applied it to the grill after each use before gifting the grill to my brother and sister-in-law in the early 80’s as a wedding present. Here is a picture of the kettle, which now is owned by Weber again and in the Chicago area.
View attachment 36104View attachment 36105
Cool Story. :)

Back