Leftover Brisket Ideas

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
This past weekend I made my second attempt at a brisket. This time I opted for a 9.5-ish pound packer cooked lns on my 18" WSM. I followed a Jim Minion recipe from Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking with Live Fire. I'm thinking that I overcooked it a bit but now that it's been a few days I'm okay with that. Don't misunderstand, I wish I'd done a better job, but this is my first packer and only my second brisket ever (the last one being done overnight as 2014 started). Plus since only the wife and I will be eating it, I got the smallest packer I could find.

Anyway, after a 15 hour smoke, and 30 minute rest, I cut off the point and threw it back on the smoker for a few hours to make burnt ends. At the end of the day, the burnt ends were the best part. The flat was pretty dry and crumbly but tasted pretty good.

So here were are a few days after the smoke and I'm needing to find ideas of what to do with the leftover brisket meat. I've heard chili, but I'm afraid that I don't know how to make chili short of browning some ground beef and adding it to store bought "chili starter" in a can. I'm not opposed to trying that, subbing out the brisket for the ground beef, but I figured y'all might be able to point me to a recipe for "real" chili. And if not, at least you'd be able to give me some other ideas of how to give new life to my leftover brisket.

So.... Any ideas?

Brisket chili is good, once you make it you might not use burger again, since the brisket is already cooked toss it into the chili about an hour or so before serving that way it stays chunked and won't fall apart as if you were to simmer for hours before serving.

I never made chili before and decided to make it w/ some leftover brisket. I didn't even have all the required ingredients of the recipe I was following, I even used spaghetti sauce lol but it came out pretty damn good I must say for my first time ever making chili. Find a recipe that comes close to what ingrediednts you have in the pantry and go for it!

I ate a lot of bbq sandwiches with my leftovers---meat, bbq sauce, and a pickle slice (not a big pickle eater but that's how I mostly made these). Also good with gravy & mashed potatoes... or anything else

Open face/knife and fork beef on bread with gravy. Beef and noodles. Nachos. Tacos. BBQ sandwich. French dip. Etc,etc.

"Beef and noodles"

Post your pictures---- I know you did some good ones a couple months back

images

Brisket hash. Dice into 1/4 inch squares. Dice potatoes. Chop up onions and bell peppers . Throw it in a cast skillet with some Wooster, mustard and pepper. Cook until the taters are tender. Eadd water or beef broth as needed for moister. Eat it by itself or cook up a pile of scrambled eggs to go with it.

Brisket chili is good, once you make it you might not use burger again, since the brisket is already cooked toss it into the chili about an hour or so before serving that way it stays chunked and won't fall apart as if you were to simmer for hours before serving.

+1

I can guarantee you'll never use ground beef once you've had chili made with brisket - unless you're serving it to a bunch of kids or folks you don't like. :)

I wrecked my first brisket - didn't cook it long enough - and had to come up with something to do with about 10 pounds of meat that was tougher than an old boot. After about 2 hours of simmering it was the best chili I'd ever made. Been using brisket in chili exclusively ever since.

Quesadillas. Put brisket, cheese, and cilantro between two tortillas. Crisp up on both sides in an iron skillet. Slice and dip in BBQ sauce. Delicious.

Tamales. I chop the brisket up real fine, mix in some canned chipotles and green chiles and use that for tamale filling.

Back